Starting A Little Betta Tank

Senroc

For my boy. Something for him to look at when he wakes up in the morning and maybe let mommy and daddy sleep in a bit..lol. Anyway I'm planning to rescue a betta from a petstore. I hate seeing them in those tiny little cups stacked on shelves. So one lucky dude is going to move into a 30gal tank. I'm also interested in having a couple of females for him as well and I'm wondering if anyone has any females for sale in the Calgary area? The only time I've seen them in Calgary was at Riverfront and I was surprised at how colourful they are. Also does it matter what variety the male is for him to be interested in the females?

I do plan on having other fish in the tank. Perhaps a small school of cardinal tetras? Maybe German Rams? A couple of corys?

• 2 weeks later...

Add everything that is going into the tank before you add the betta. I found with my boy Vince if I add anything into a tank he's established in he will attack even a pond snail haha. He's fine if the other inhabitants are there before him though. You may know this but I thought I'd say it just in case because it was cories that my betta attacked and they are a peaceful little species that works.. I know betta fish vary in temperament but if you get an aggressive one like me and add him to the tank last you will have more success with even an aggressive fish if you get unlucky with your choice like me :)

• 2 weeks later...

id be curious how this works out for you with the females and males together. When I tried putting some females in with a male in a well planted decent sized tank, it took him about 5 minutes to find the females and try to kill them. i'd love to put a tank of bettas together though, so i'm keen for your success.

• 2 weeks later...