Tank Stand Project

Vimmer

I've got bitten big by MTS. Now four months after setting up 36g planted community tank and 10g neocaridina shrimp tank I'm thinking of setting up a multiple tank stand/rack with sump.

I've got it in my head to build a two tier stand with 5 ten gallon tanks on top tier and the 36 bow front with a ten gallon on each side on middle tier with a 50 gallon heavy duty Rubbermaid storage containers or sump/filter hidden underneath.

To accommodate this the unit would need to be 52"L x 24" wide. This length and width leaves a little extra room between tanks and allows for plumbing at back of tanks to remain within dimensions of the unit.

My question is will 2x4 lumber be enough to hold the weight. I think it should work with enough cross-bracing on shelves but if I'm setting up a disaster please tell me.

Second concern is if 36 bow front is 19" bottom to top and 10gallon tanks beside it are 12" bottom to top is this enough difference to create an overflow system?

The thought is the sump will fill top tier which overflows to 36G which in turn overflows to the 10G's beside it and finally back into the sump/filter.

Additional filtering will be added to each tank in the form of lift tube sponge filters.

I built a stand out of 2x6 and 3/4" plywood with marine paint for around $250... then I saw the Snap-On shelves for sale at Costco for $180. I now have 3 Snap-On shelves in the fishroom and no DIYs left.

If I'm picturing your setup correctly, you have 5x10gal (~500lbs of water weight) on the top shelf, 2x10gal+36gal (~560lbs of water weight) on the middle shelf and a 50gal sump (~500lbs water weight) on the bottom shelf (which could also serve as the bottom of the stand. Accounting for glass, substrate et al, each tier must hold *roughly* 600-650lbs or so?

Frame each deck with 2x4s on edge - with a single 2x4 down the middle length (maybe a cross brace as you already mentioned) for center support, and you'll have lots of wood to hold the weight.

The critical issue I see is how to connect each shelf at the overall height you'll require in order to maintain adequate vertical rigidity.

http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=37361 I built my 2 corner cabinets out of 2x3. They are 16 inches shorter than yours. I also wrestled with cross bracing -and- how to connect the top deck to the vertical corners. The process was as rewarding as the result, I'm sure you'll think so too.

The original thought of 2x4 construction was for the dimensions and aesthetics. Fischer that is a beautiful set of corner units and I'm certain a straight rectangular rack will be much easier to build and overcome support issues.

That being said Jason has made me rethink store bought. Having looked into it a bit Home Depot has a 60" shelving unit that would work nicely and leave a little room for supplies etc. They also have a 72" unit currently on sale for less than the 60". Both have a 2000lb/shelf rating. The biggest problem I see is the 72 has enough space and capacity for 11 10g tanks plus the 36 bow front. Now you're thinking more tanks? What's the problem with that? One; it's going to be uphill battle with wife over original plan(minor problem as daughter will be my trump card) and two; 40 more gallons up top means bigger sump needed. I like the idea of using large heavy duty storage container for sump as it is very affordable solution.

Leaning toward purchasing the 60"x24"x78" unit even if it is $10 more because it fits the need better and removes temptation to expand beyond sump capabilities.

So now my big question is will the overflow/siphon work with the height difference between the 36g and the 10g standards? 7" difference between high water lines. I think it should; just a matter of how deep the siphon is in higher tank but correct me if wrong. I know I can increase that difference by placing 36g on a platform but would rather not if not needed.

I'm not a good resource for sump stuff vimmer. Thought about it. Read about it. No spine to try it. Admire anyone who does :)

So ... you'll have three overflows, at two different heights, running down to the sump then?

Seems to me the height difference in overflow lines won't matter. Once the water level reaches an escape route, away it goes.

Do you already have a pump arrangement in mind that generates enough head to lift water back up to your tanks at the rate(s) you want?

I had it pictured as a single line from sump up to top level and then splitting off into the five 10g tanks with valves controlling flow rate into these tanks. All five top level tanks will each have an overflow into the 36g. The 36g will then have a single overflow out of it which T's off to drain into the 10's on each side of it. Each of these would then drain down to the sump.

Finding an adjustable flow pump with capability to lift the 6 feet won't be an issue as I looked into pumps when contemplating turning my hillside I call a back yard/garden into an aquaponics garden. That is still a project I want to attempt but have a tree to remove before I bother setting anything up but while looking into it that was one of the biggest road blocks as would need pump that could lift at least 10'-12' and still provide adequate flow. Found several that can do it.