Just Saying Hello

Percilus

Hi all. My name is Adam. I'm new to the hobby. Currently suffering from MTS in a bad way due to the cheapness of unwanted aquariums on kijiji in Edmonton!

I always had an interest in certain reptiles and fish when I was a kid. But never did take the plunge for some reason years back I remember catching frogs and an occasional newt in local swamps and haggling my father into grabbing me a used 10 or 20 gallon from value village and promptly filling them with some tap water and plopping them in only to watch them die in short order of course. I now know why :(. Had no internet back then and my old man had no background in such things either so maybe those experiences made me move on who knows.

So about 4 or so months ago I decided to grab my 4 year-old daughter a Betta fish. My knowledge of the hobby was still terrible I knew nothing when I purchased him. Like your average layman I grabbed a pathetically small cube (.5 gallon? I don't know), kept expenses down. Listened to the kid at the LFS big box store in West Ed explain water conditioner and 100 % water change every week or 2 weeks (LOL). In his defense I think he was trained to give me the speel he did. He knows better of course. That started my journey. My boy Vince (my Betta) didn't do well in there of course and so began my research on the internet and I must say I think I've come a long way. I'm still an amateur with a lot of learning to do but I'm on the right path now.

I currently own (don't laugh) a 6.6 Fluval chi, a 1.5 hex, 3.5 bow-front, 2 standard 5.5, and standard 20 long and I also picked up a pacman frog in a 10 gallon yesterday haha !

I've managed to wheel and deal all that plus the start up of maintenance supplies for hardly much money at all, like $150. I currently only own one Betta fish still in a 5.5 gallon. Most of those tanks are old news or cycling but I've kept them as I have interest in culturing various insects for My fish and frog. I did own 6 Panda Corydora but moving and small errors by me (learning process) have lost me all but 1 of them. I now know they are temperamental catfish. It's unfortunate I miss the others and a single cory in a 20 long won't be happy alone. If anyone has some panda cory in their tank in Edmonton and reads this and wants to take him off my hands into a school let me know he's free of charge. I plan on going with the more hardy species of albino ones when I get that tank situated. He seems to be doing well and I don't think he has any disease. Bought at Aquariumcentral.

I'm obsessed with planted tanks and want to make a well planted 5.5 home for Vince. Funds are tight and I don't like to waste time, money, or materials. I'm a tree hugging animal loving reduce your carbon foot print type of personality.

I've spent a lot of time on you-tube channels such as ADU aquascaping etc and have just recently decided on my first pricey investment a aquaray mini 400 led. I didn't want to waste money on equipment that wouldn't do what I needed as I had done a few times before so I went into research mode. Forums, science articles, opinions you name it. I find just talking about and researching this hobby is a hobby unto itself!

I look forward to meeting people who are passionate about this hobby. I'd love to learn from anyone who can point me in the right direction and offer their expertise on what I'm trying to achieve. I'd love to save money as well and help others do so in kind.

Eventually due to my other interests (ways of life) I will probably want to make my tanks do more than be homes for animals in captivity. I'm sure there are many like minded people on this forum with similar interest in not only the hobby but aquaponics and organic life in general. Change the world type stuff :) I'd like to meet anyone like that as my current crowd is still obsessed with their hedonistic consuming lifestyles and I honestly need to move on. You can only change yourself. Advice not asked for is always taken as insult I find. Frustrating I know! Would just be nice to talk with like minded people aware of the issues facing us and not always so hostile towards a little bit of criticism or open minded talk. Can't learn anything without a little bit of debate and stepping on toes going on in my opinion.

Edited by Percilus

Welcome there are a bunch of fish nerds on here. Also the Aquarium Club of edmonton meets the first Tuesday of every month at Allendale Hall in the south side of Edmonton.

Address is 6330-105A St and meeting starts at 7:30.

I'll have to check that out.