FW Aquarium Lighting

Moogled

Guys, are there any fluorescent bulbs out there that will be able to shine "purple" or colored lights into the aquarium to create the illusion of that particular color?

albert_dao said mentioned something about "Powerglo", but as it stands, I'm not sure about anything at the moment.

fw1zY-a.jpg

Edited by Moogled

Yes, i bought some powerglows for my african tank and they give off a bit of a pink/purpleish tinge. Its not something as dramatic as putting a purple color bulb on the tank but it is different then what my old bulbs(yellowy daylight bulbs).

I also tried marineglo but they had more of a dark look, kind of dark blue/ purple.

Hi guys, thanks for the quick replies!

I haven't gotten a chance to look at any of the lights you guys suggested, but there was something else I was wondering as well.

As you can see, some of the fish in the picture are "purple" in color. What was their original color? It seems that the light only affects a certain original color, which is why the yellow fish seem to have kept their own. Does that mean only certain colored fish will be subject to this purple lighting?

Well my fish under the new lights(powerglos,aquaglos) do look a bit different then under daylight. The yellow labs are still bright yellow but the blues in my acei and phenos are much darker and they show a nice metallic look. The reds of my red empress are much more red(my friend commentented that he looked deeper red then his usually faded light red under the old lights).

SO depending on what types of bulbs you use and if they spike in that color, it will bring them out. I believe the powerglos and actinic type bulbs are better at bringing out blues. Thats why the blue fish in that picture look brighter yet the yellow ones look normal.