Synodontis Decorus?

Sammy

Good morning,

I have had this cat for about 1year and I bought it thinking it was a decorus however he/she does not look like the Decorus ive seen on the net or from my books. Can anyone here add some light to this?

Here is a few pictures of him/her.

Synodec3.jpg

Synodec.jpg

Synodec2.jpg

He has tripled in size since I purchased him but his color and markings havent changed much, well his color has enhanced some since the NLS :).

Thanks in advance,

Mike

It is not an atypical decorus at all. My guess is that it's a cross between decorus? and eupterus?. There continues to be some of these Syno crosses being imported from the Czech Rep. and sold as particular Syno species. I could guess the lfs that you purchased this hybrid from but there doesn't seem to be much point. I've pointed out this problem to them but they still continue to deceive their clients. There's a thread on planetcatfish dealing specifically with this shoddy practice.

Good evening,

I thought it may have been a cross, toomany pokadots and too dark. The store was Big Al's and they have more hybrids in right now labled Decorus. Thank you for the quick reply. I wonder If I told them that I believe its a hybrid and wanted my money back? Its been a year. Is it too late for that you think?

Mike

No, I don't think it's too late. Bring the fish to the BA's and show it to them. Explain that you bought this Synodontis decorus in good faith and have been patiently waiting for a year for the juvenile fish to develop into the fish in the text books. Seeing as now it has become obvious to you, and others you have consulted, that the fish you purchased isn't decorus, ask that they either exchange your fish for a true decorus or refund you the purchase price. All that sounds quite reasonable to me.

Howdy,

I got another name now being used for this cat I have. Synodontis longirostris, and after looking on the net for this fish it does not look like that either, The tail and finage dont have the same patterns. What do you think?

Sammy