Rock Layout

Molino

I thought that RDs idea of planning the rock design beforehand was a very good idea so have tried a few setups myself. Thanks RD :beer: I am also planning a 125 long tank and hoped to buy it today, but will probably get it early this coming week. Please have a look at the pics below and offer any suggestions/criticisms. This will be a Hap tank with some Mooris, Venustus, etc...

2-650w.jpg

3-650w.jpg

4-650w.jpg

I like the first one with the large boulder on it's end and the last one although I'm not sure about how I stacked all the smaller rocks. I find it looked lopsided having them all on one side, so also put some in front on the rock on the right hand side in front of the other large rock, although it is difficult to see.

I may try a few more setups and post the results here.

Thanks for the replies, I like the first one because of the height as well. I also tried a setup similar to that one, but with the smaller rocks included. Would Haps, which prefer open water, benefit from all the hiding spots created by stacking up these smaller rocks?

5-650w.jpg

Thanks

I agree that those rocks wouldn't provide many hiding spots. I have fish that prefer both open water and hiding spots. The lavarock provides hiding spots, but I still have plenty of open water. I looked around here for rocks like that but was limited in what is available here.

Thats true, maybe I'll just stick to the three big rocks (1st pic) and scatter a few smaller ones about for looks. I'll have a lot of rocks left over for other tanks, maybe Mbuna in my 55? :drool:

Lavarock looks nice, but I prefer the look of plain rocks like these so that more attention is drawn to the fish and I feel they give a natural look to the tank.

I like the simple look of #1 B)

I do agree that planning out the rock and taking pics before actually putting them in the tank makes it much easier. I did this when i set up my 90g. Its so much easier(and safer for the tank) to stack and rearrange them outside the tank. Then when you have it just right put them in.

Nelson, those are really nice rocks. What were they called at the landscape store?

Ok, thanks a lot everyone, I think we have a winner!! #1.

I think the most important thing is that I get the large rocks in place. If I decide later on to get some Mbuna, or provide cover for younger fish I can easily add some small rocks.

The big rock is so heavy that I won't be able to put it in the tank on my own :flex:

They appear to be Limestone

That's right.

what kind of substraight are you using?

Pool filter sand. I got two bags awhile ago for my 55 gallon, but only used one. I am trying to get the Pool place to order in another bag or two of the same stuff for my larger tank. It is "Target" brand filter sand, a mostly tan and somewhat coarse sand. Anyone else know where to get this in Edmonton? Thanks.

Edited by Molino

Looks like someone went to Bragg Creek...

Actually I didn't go to Bragg Creek. I got these rocks at a local Landscaping store.

I have been to Bragg Creek before though, went to do some rock climbing, and I sure thought about heading back there just to pick up some rocks. However with the car I drive it would have cost me as much in gas to get there and back. That, plus the time it would take to drive there and back, led me to buy the rocks in town.