Too much rock?

captinstabbin

I've been told that you could theoretically fill the entire tank solid with rock without the weight crushing it.

I've currently got a 50-60lb rock in my 54 bowfront without worries.

As long as you don't have any serious pressure points, there should be no problem.

to help that, may i suggest to use Egg crate. You can buy it at home depot, and it hasn't failed me yet.

an article from CF:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/lake_malawi_setup.php

Once you have decided on the species you want to keep, set the tank up accordingly. If you decide to keep mbuna or mostly mbuna, prepare the tank glass bottom for the weight of the rock by first placing either Styrofoam or lighting grid (egg crate) directly on the glass before you place the rocks down. This will help distribute the weight of the rock more evenly and will prevent the toppling of rocks that have been dug out by the fish. Once the main rocks have been placed on the base, cover the base with sand or fine gravel. How high you place the rockwork is up to you, however care should be taken as to secure the rocks so that they do not fall or place too much stress on the back glass of the tank. The rockwork should be arranged in such a way as to provide passageways and caves to serve as shelter/spawning sites/territorial markers for the fish.

not sure if you are going with african's but, for the weight alone... its a no brainer!

nev