Acrylic Yarn As Filter Media?

hkbialik

So, I recently have learned that people use acrylic yarn for breeding mops and it had never occurred to me before to use yarn in any sort of aquarium application. Now that I think out it, though, it seems it would work well as a biomedia. It's very fibrous and so has a large surface area. If you knit or crochet, you can make a solid piece or "cartridge" in whatever shape or size you want.

I'm a knitter and I have boatloads of yarn. People like to give me bags of yarn that they don't want anymore. Since most cheap yarn is acrylic (and I usually like to use nicer yarn for knitting) I have a surplus or acrylic yarn. I have even thought that I could knit fake plants and other aquarium decorations. Not very natural looking, but something the kids would like for sure, and if it houses bacteria, then all the better!

Edited by hkbialik

I don't know if I'd put it in the display of a tank, as it can collect detritus over time. It could be a good mechanical/biological filter media, tho. Wherever you put it for filtration, just watch to make sure it's not getting too clogged.

I can see this working however just make sure you take a peek weekly to see how this material traps detritus as jvision also states. Once you understand how it does handle suspended solids...then just 'set it and forget it' as with any filter material.

Perhaps even check the cycle as you do the experiment to see the numbers behind the filter material.