Rainbow Channa

Amodrag

I don't know why some people buy them they get too big and cause serious problems if released in the lakes or streams.

Rainbow snakeheads or channa bleheri , top out ~6 inches (as previously stated by the op) They also would not survive our winters. There are no channa causing any harm in any Canadian waters.

Your post is an excellent example of ignorance fed by ridiculous media hype . Simply because the fish has a common name that includes the word "snakehead" you start making ridiculous assumptions , obviously with absolutely no real knowledge of the species. You clearly didn't even bother to read the other posts in this thread since he even mentioned it's a dwarf and stated it's max size...

I realize that's blunt but I keep many channa species and I see this sort of nonsense frequently , frankly it ticks me off . There are dozens of beautiful channa species , only a handful reach large sizes and only 1 species would even be capable of surviving a winter in Canada. Most are small colourful personable creatures who's unique natural adaptations make them perfect for aquarium life.

Sorry for being blunt but posts like yours only feed into the media hype that has already resulted in ridiculous bans in some provinces. My advise is do some research on the species and the subject if your going to make statements like that.

Edited by DevonC

To add to that NO species of snakehead would survive prairie waters. Native species from the USA can't survive in our prairie waters. This whole snakehead phobia is a media-hyped hysteria gone amok. Proof once again that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

The only one thats giving the channa a bad name is the giant snakehead. Which is not beautiful and know-one really should have any business keeping them in my opinion. And is why you can get them for $20 at fish shops.

Bleheri and Aurantimaculata are perfect sizes to manage in an aquarium and are beautiful channa species, smart and true survivors.

And anyone for that matter putting a non native species into any watershed shouldn't be allowed to keep fish. Its not just channa. ( Chain Pickerel) those smaller pike looking devils are causing issues I know in Nova Scotia with the bass and trout species. Not sure how they got in those waters but their being very invasive over the last few decades.

At the end of the day its not the fish at all its a select few ignorant people giving them and other fish a bad name.