Few Q's About Bn's

EowynJane

I'm having some issues with the BN in my cichlid tank, I'm pretty sure they are picking on her as she has some ragged fins. So the questions are this....

1. Is it possible to keep 2 BN's in a 20 gallon tank? The only other fish there is a very shy dwarf puffer that I never see and a ton of shrimp. If I added a new hiding spot would it be possible they could live together? They are both female.

2. Is it possible for algae to grow on a BN's lips? I'm not sure maybe it was stuck in her teeth but it really looked like the algae that is getting out of control in my cichlid tank. I'm trying to keep an eye out for her to see if it's still there today but she's pretty shy.

BN will live together peacefully and can be kept with some cichlids. I get a kick out of my mated kribs trying to drive away the plecs when they get too close to the kribs corner. BN really are armoured... You could add some cover like rocks or wood to your cichlid tank. As for algae growing on their lips, can't help you on that one...but something about a rolling stone gathers no moss, comes to mind...

I don't see 2 female BNs in a 20 being a problem at all as long as there's a decent piece of driftwood or rockwork so they can get out of sight if needed. I think the "algae on lips" is more of a "You've got somethign stuck between your teeth" kind of thing.

Thanks. I saw her out again today and there is a lot less algae in her mouth and it is in the teeth area so I'm thinking it's probably stuck there.

I do have a fair amount of cover in the cichlid tank but I'm worried because of this torn up fin, I saw a bit of a scuffle between the BN and one of my smaller yellow labs. She's smaller than the other BN I got at the same time, I'm assuming from not getting as much food. Is there any way to feed her that would ensure she gets more? I feed sinking pleco pellets to her before I turn off the light but the cichlids love them too.

I'm still thinking of moving her....

Put a piece of zuccini in there when the lights go out. The cichlids will pick on it for a bit, but it'll be all hers all night. I just stick a fork in a piece of raw zuccini and toss it in the tank.