Getting Serious, Need To Set Up A Cost Effective Fish Room

Erynlyn

So my addictions getting serious, and I need to set up a cost effective fish room.

I've looked around for easy guides on setting up water filtration and lighting but have gotten so many mixed bits of information im confused.

At the moment i have 10 tanks on the go.. they are a mixture of live and fake plants.. betta males in 8 of the tanks (each is 10g) then i have a 50 g female betta community tank.. and a 20g planted tank started up.

i have so many pumps and heaters and lights strung around the house its making the hubby nervous about the breaker..

so i am hoping i can get all the information i need here..

whats the best way to set this all up so im not burning my house down *lol*

Erin

Next time you're in my neighborhood, stop by. I'll show you what I've done and give you ideas on how to set it up.

The biggest thing is don't use crappy extension cords. Pay the money, get heavy duty extension cords. Second, lets say you have 10, 200w heaters. You probably don't, but for math sake, that's a little over 16 amps. Your average breaker is rated for 15 amps. As you add more amperage to the breaker the breaker is doing more work. While 16 amps probably wont trip your breaker adding more to the circuit will in turn heat up the breaker, which in turn will cause the breaker to trip.

Basically a breaker is made up of two pieces of metal, the two metal strips are together, as they heat up they expand and pull apart. Thus not completing a full circuit, thus tripping the breaker.

Over time it will wear out the breaker.

Now, this is just your heaters. This doesn't include your lights, filters, pumps, ext. This also doesn't include anything else on your circuit... TV... Lights... Radios, so on. Your best bet if you plan on making a fish room, or whatever it is you're doing is to add a couple circuits dedicated just to your fish tanks.

Just my opinion, as I am a journeyman electrician.