Fighting Velvet

WickedOdie

So I am currently fighting velvet in one of my tanks. I haven't moved my fish due to lack of space. Basically I'm thinking about buying a 25 gallon tank and moving all my livestock there. It's not ideal living conditions but they are probably going to die to velvet anyways. My biggest concern, I know terrible, but my biggest concern is my plants. I've invested way more money in plants than fish in that tank, so I can't do much more of a blackout for fear of the plants, and my fish aren't doing any better. They are currently at 84 degrees with 2 cups of salt in a 90 gallon tank, which is roughly 32 tbs, give or take.

My main question is, if I don't do a blackout period in the 90 gallon with no livestock in it, will the velvet at 84 degrees eventually die off, even if they do feed off light?

I have driftwood, inverts and snails in that tank, I can't add medications containing copper. I'm hoping without a host they will still die off. Anyone know?

I moved all of the fish to a 20 gallon tank. Started treating with malachite green, increased temp to 84 and malafix as well. No real signs of improvement but they don't seem to be getting any worse. I guess I'll just keep treating. My corries and ottos don't seem too overly affected however being pretty fragile. One of my danios has come down with dropsy, hopefully he improves, but I after all my research I don't think hes going to make it. Hes held on for quite a while though, over a week for sure.

I'm on day 7 of the malachite treatment. I've been advised by the pet store to start API General Cure with a half dose of malachite green. I'm not really sure what I think of that, as API General Cure does not have copper, from what I'm told. I don.t have enough research into it though.

EDIT: See the biggest thing is, I'm not 100% sure its velvet. All signs point to velvet, but from everything I read, velvet kills. I've yet to lose a fish and it's been over 2 weeks since I found the velvet.

Edited by WickedOdie