10 Gallon, Babies First Aquarium.

Mirage

I'm new to the fish keeping thing, only been keeping the one baby for about 3 months now. I know he will need a bigger set up soon and a friend or two to keep him company. And I am pretty crappy at photography.

That said enjoy amateur hour:

tumblr_nuy92rJiKD1s6ns9ao1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nuy8k44Ohb1s6ns9ao4_1280.jpg

I cleaned the tank right after these so please forgive the goldfish mess.

Goldfish are messy :P I like the bowl inside a bowl. That's a pretty neat concept.

Hehe thanks, but I can't take any credit. I saw a betta owner do it first and thought that it was cute.

Cute! Empty bottom makes it easy to clean =)

Maybe try dojo loach when you look into a larger tank and fish friends, they are quite active and clean up food the goldfish miss!

Yeah, I've looked into dojos, I kind of worry though since they like to be in groups and I just want to be sure the bio load isn't going to be too much that it detracts from what those messy goldies need. I'm planning on getting a 55g or 60g and running dual Emperor 400s so it might not be an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

tumblr_nvlg2fDMvP1s6ns9ao1_540.jpg

Color's coming in really nice. Today I plan on upgrading my filter and buying a pair of Anubis and a mystery snail to help clean up a little.

I have to say I'm kind of proud, look at that angle Pudge holds his tail. What a little prince.

If you want some ramshorn snails I have some I'll give away. I have pond snails and Malaysian trumpet snails also. I really like them, especially in with the goldfish.

Thanks for the offer Plecii, but I'm honestly really weary of other snail types. My sister had an aquarium when we were kids and her pond snails would escape. Stepped on far too many lost guys in bare feet to want to deal with non-gendered snails again. So anything that breeds fast (even if my little guy would eat them) and is small enough to squeeze out where the filter hands is out.

Interesting. I have snails in all my tanks and I've never had an escapee. Never had a population problem either.

I was in the lfs the other day and there was an mystery snail bigger than a golf ball not sure if it was mislabeled. Maybe a nerite would be less of a poop factory?

Edited by Plecii

Interesting. I have snails in all my tanks and I've never had an escapee. Never had a population problem either.

I was in the lfs the other day and there was an mystery snail bigger than a golf ball not sure if it was mislabeled. Maybe a nerite would be less of a poop factory?

Nope, it wasn't mislabeled, the size I see as a bonus, more waste clean up and less escape chance, their waste is smaller than Pudge's so it's easier for the filter to pick up.

Anyway I got the mystery snail and some anubias as well as a better filter. Things are settling in well. Well after Pudge gave up on body checking the snail that is.

tumblr_nvrdjjR6EH1s6ns9ao2_1280.jpg

I've settled on naming the snail John Cena, because it hides among the gems really well and gets me anxious with it's "u can't see me" junk.