Does Anyone Here Use Pools?

Psylant

Does anyone here use pools instead of aquariums? Does anyone have experience with these? http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/steel-frame-pool-set-10-ft-x-10-ft-x-30-in-0813127p.html#.VgAUBt9VhBc

I could simply throw my pump into the pool, and have output into some 55gal drums and flow back into the pool via gravity. I would put some of the dense foam insulation board on my basement's cement floor to help insulate the "pond" and keep it warm. Maybe put some spray insulation foam around the outside of it too? Filling it to the 20" mark would offer about 980 gallons.

The reason I ask all of this is that I need to build a new home for my 23" Mbu Puffer and can no longer afford the 8'x4'x2.5' custom aquarium I was going to build. I've run into some large unexpected expenses lately and this would hopefully buy me enough time until I can afford a real aquarium for him again. I just moved houses a few months ago, and he's still living at my parents house in an aquarium that will *NEVER* be able to get out of their basement. It's simply too heavy.

Please let me know if you have any experience with these pools! :)

Check out my aquaponics thread. My pond is a 300gal stock tank, I have a pond pump that pumps water up thru the grow beds. I run a dehumidifier in the room, which is insulated, that keeps the room temp in the high 20s Celcius - no heaters required.

Check out my aquaponics thread. My pond is a 300gal stock tank, I have a pond pump that pumps water up thru the grow beds. I run a dehumidifier in the room, which is insulated, that keeps the room temp in the high 20s Celcius - no heaters required.

I have an unfinished basement that isn't very warm (I don't think any of the ducting channels warmed furnace air down there...). I'm not that worried about moisture, it's a big room and my furnace fan runs 24/7 which should help spread the humidity around the house. I currently have to use a humidifier for my hardwood flooring! I've seen people use those stock tanks before. I would buy one myself if I could find one used, but they seem to be fairly in demand!

Thanks for your reply! :)

Also, your aquaponics setup is pretty cool. I might consider trying something similar if I go with the pool idea.

Edited by Psylant

Be sure that he materials used for the liner and such are not treated with an algaecide, something to inhibit mould, or other chemicals. My guess is that Canadian Tire personnel don't know if the materials are treated or not.

Hmmm.... Good point. I hadn't thought of that. I did find this in their Q&A (see below). They kind of dodge the question, so I'm not sure if it's safe or not... I would imagine so but I'll try to find out for sure. Thanks for the thought.

I have sent the manufacturer an email asking about algaecides, etc. Will post the response I get.

Is the liner of this pool fish safe?

Question:

I need to house my koi for a couple of months while i rebuild my koi pond. Is the pool chemically inert so that it will not harm the fish?

by Anonymous

2 years, 4 months ago

Answer this Question

Answer:

The manufacturer would not advise you put Koi in their pools.

Fish constantly excrete large amounts of waste which could potentially affect the pump and will void the warranty so they would suggest not purchasing this pool for the use of Koi.

Staff Answer Expert Answer

by CanadianTireTeam

2 years, 3 months ago

Edited by Psylant