Do Not Buy Aqueon Heaters!

FISHLIPS

Most aquarium heaters use low cost Chinese components. Do yourself a favor and search "controller" on this site and read some of the previous threads on this topic.

Edited to add I just bumped up an old one in this sub forum....

Edited by RD.

My iPhone 5s broke, and was replaced by apple under warranty. I then received three, brand new, out of the box, defective iPhone 5s in a ROW from the Apple store. The manager told me it was a one in a million chance to get 3 in a row that were defective. I believed him, and still use iPhones because I think they are awesome. I was pissed off having to make so many trips to the Apple store, but my anecdotal experience did not define the overall quality of the millions of units sold. I think the same might be for your heater.

Unfortunately, when it comes to aquarium heaters that doesn't seem to be the case. The attitude that you just expressed is exactly why such low standards are still accepted by the hobby as a whole. Aquarium heaters fail fairly consistently across the board, no matter the brand. If one is lucky they will last several years, if not they can fail in weeks, months, or right out of the box.

Or maybe there are a LOT more one in a million unlucky people out there than most people realize. :)

Yup heaters suck.They use a lot of juice and when they fail you can lose the whole tank. I only have three running now ,everything else is room temperature.

Honestly, most are pretty much made from the same low cost components, which is why I stated earlier today to check out this folder for past threads about controllers. See the heater thread that I just bumped up today. Then at least the worse case scenario is that if a heater fails it will be in the OFF position, and you can catch it early on. If it fails in the ON position the controller will keep it from cooking your fish, which is another reason why it is a good idea to use two lower wattage heaters in your tank, vs one high wattage unit. Or you can allow the ambient temp in your house to heat the tank, such as what Jorg mentioned.

I believe from my experience that heater failures are the number one cause of tank losses. Because they almost always stick in the on position. That is why I don't use them and never will, I have the titanium heaters that are always "ON" when powered and use a controller to monitor the temperature, so it is the power outlet that goes on and off and controlled by my APEX. I have redundant temp probes in both of my tanks and programming such that the window for the temperature is very tight. Once you have had an controller, you will never go back to not having one....

Edited by uwish