Betta.

freshmike

• 2 weeks later...

Have you been sucessful breeding the bettas, FreshMike? I tried once in a 20gallon tank and the female ended up killing the male one. I heard that in Thailand, bettas are bred in two large barrels with one interconnecting channel so that they only need to come into contact with each other when they ready to breed. Otherwise that just stay out of each others way.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 2 females (Blue bodies with red fins)

1 male that you can see in my avatar pic

The gf has 1 female and A nice tri-color Blue Veil tail

and her mother has 1 red veil tail.

I'm currently trying to breed my male with her female that has alot of red in the fins and a more natural body color. I'm having no luck yet but will keep on trying.

Where do you buy healthy bettas? I've had some pretty lousy luck with that. My birdt betta, a red, lasted about 3 weeks before turning grey and sinking to the bottom of his bowl. I was chaning the water every other day with that one, and he had 2 gal.

My second one is still alive, he's in a 5 gal unheated filtered tank with 5 white clouds. He's irredecant green with a bit of red and purple to him. But in the few months I have had him, he has lost all the scales on his head, and he has had finrot (which I successfully treated with melafix) and he's had little white fungus (also successfully treated) and sometimes, every few weeks, I find him stuck to the filter intake. Other days he is flaring and swimming and making bubble nests.

The third one, kept in the 5 gal heated tank next to the unheated, was living with guppies. He was royal blue all over, but lasted only a week before he got the little white spots all over, and died.

The store I buy them from only gets a small shipment at a time, and they aren't kept in those dixie cups, they live in little hexes or bowls at the store. Not ideal, but better than the tiny lemonade stand cups. And the girl who works there is always pointing out which ones weren't as active, etc, to help send home a healthy one. As far as I can tell they are healthy when I get them. Is there some trick to it?

I have found someone who breeds them in Alberta. She orders them from BC and Thailand and charges $20 to $35 per breeding pair. I am planning on going to pick up a couple of CT bettas over the next couple of weeks. Please let me know if anyone here in Calgary want a certain kind, gender or color and I will find out a price for you and if she has any of that kind. If she has the kind that you want I will see about making arrangements to pick them up for you.

• 3 months later...

Updated list of My Bettas

1: 1 Pastel VT/CT Cross Male (Same one as before)

2: 1 Blue CT Female

3: 1 Steel/Red Butterfly CT Male

4: 1 Red Cambodian CT Female

5: 1 Royal Blue/Red Butterfly Female

6: 1 Green CT Female

7&8: 2 2.5 month old spawn from 1 and 2 (Both appear to have alot of Blue and red as well as the crown's fin traits)

• 1 month later...

Updates to my list:

All of the ones from my last update plus the following

9: 1 Opaque VT Male

10: 1 Red/Violet VT Male

11: 1 White with a violet tint body cambodian Female

Plus 7 or 8 fry that are just over 7 weeks old.

Chris you still have me beat by a long shot. 58 now isn't it?

Edited by Spinalcore