Well Water For Fish Water?

Tracyp

I recently moved to a rural community (Keoma) near Cross Iron Mills Mall/ Balzac. I'm on well water however the quality of the water is pretty crummy. We don't drink or cook with the water due to taste instead we run a distiller. The animals all drink it and seem fine although they'd drink out of a mud puddle and be fine.

Now I've been stuck buying water jugs and at a $1 a gallon and two 55 gallon tanks it's getting pricey! I can use the distiller but it takes 24 hrs to do 5 gallons and the electricity to keep it running is about the same as buying jugs of water.

Has anyone had any experience with well water out this way and have they ever used it in their tanks? I would love to go back to using my Python for water changes and not paying for water but I'm worried about how my fish will fare on the well water.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for the reply! I Just tested the basics I don't have anything to testhardness etc.

Nitrate - 0

Nitrite - 0

Ammonia - In between .6 and 1.2

PH - 8

Was surprised to find any trace of ammonia not sure if that's typical of well water.

The water does go through a water softener but still smells slightly of rotten eggs and has stained my tub orange :( I've read up and they say it may not just be high iron but high magnesium causing the staining. Also if water is spilt on any surface and left it leaves a white residue when it dries which makes me think it's pretty hard.

That pre-filter idea is awesome I just wonder if it would clean up whatever it is I may have in my water. Thinking I need to take a sample and send it to a lab to be analyzed I'd like to know the quality either way.

I was on a well water system before moving to Okotoks and our water was bad for our cichlids and platys. This was near Stettler though so the aquafir will obviously be different. What we did that helped was to run water from our faucet in the sink through one of those Brita filters that screws to the faucet and into a large plastic kids wading pool in the basement. I let that water sit for two days or more with an air stone bubbling in it. It was my theory that this would help get rid of unwanted dissolved gases.

Edited by Okotoks