newb question

hanner944

ok, my tank is cycled now ammonia=0 nitrite=0. my question is as follows. should i now add a clean up crew? if so, do i have to add them slowly or can i just put them in? i have a 33 gal with 40lbs of live rock. i was looking at some blue hermit crabs, 2 emerald crabs, and 2 turbo snails. also, should i wait a while after adding the cleaners until i pick up my clowns(2)?

33gal

bare bottom

40 pounds of LR-fiji, indonesian, vanuatu

seio 1100, 820

remora

coralife aqualight 2x96 w/lunar

ammonia=0

nitrite=o

SG=1.023

temp=81

nitrate=0-5

calcium=380

thanks,

-paul

Unless you have algea growth already, the clean up crew has nothing to clean.

No algea - turbo snails & emerald crab go hungry

No detrius - hermit go hungry , start fight and scavenging for anything to eat, maybe even turbo snails, make good snack.

And yes you can add fish as soon as the tank is cycled

2 weeks is not long enough imo

I had my salt tank up and cycling for a good month, month in a half before i put anything in, have you any algae blooms yet?

and watch out for the Flame angle, the are not really reef safe, you have a 50% chance on them, the will devour your soft corals (learned this the hard way, and from not listening to others lol)

also IMO your SG is too low for most, opersonally i keep around 1.025 - 1.026, i seem to get the best growth and colour there, calcuim should be higher, around 420+, what is your ALK sitting at? (very important) what about PH?

it seems the general consensus for temp. is 72 to 78, and salt 1.020 to 1.025. i run my tank at 1.023** to leave a variable for rising salt levels with evaparation and run my temp around 78.

But I think everyone runs a little different and just do what works for you over time, just as long as your in the general window that people have suggested here.

good luck HB

**fish only tank

i got most of my rock from a 5 year old setup. would cut doen in the cycling process? how much longer do you think i should wait to add any livestock?

i just keep getting conflicting advice(opinions) and im trying to form my own from the ifno givin..

thanks,

-paul