rocks

scrubby

my lil girl and i are gonna go on a rock hunt for her tank and mine is there anything special you must do to rocks b4 we puyt them in i was thinking about boiling them just in case theres any crap on them :flex:

You might want to bring along a little muric acid (swimming pool pH adjuster) to see if the rock will dissolve in water. Just put a few drops on the rock. If it bubbles, it will dissolve in your tank and usually buffer your pH quite high. If there are no bubbles, they're great for the tank.

Then boil 'em for a few minutes. :)

thx im a newbie at this so all the help is great yeah the rocks i pick up are not gonna dissolve cant even crack them boiling is a great idea but for really big rock would the tub and tap water work

:unsure:

Even if they're really tough, it's still a good idea to do the acid test. There are some very hard rocks that will dissolve slowly over time - I believe there was just a discussion in the Planted Tank section about Marble doing just that!!

If you want to save yourself a trip to the pool supply store, you might be able to get away with vinegar. It's a much weeker acid, but if you look closely, you might be able to see some bubbling.

If you're going to be putting the rocks in a FW tank, a good soaking in a salt solution should kill most of the grublies. :chair:

HTH!

Burnco Retail Centre on Heritage Dr. SE is a good place to go for rocks. I picked up two pails recently of nice smaller sized rocks (fist size) and some slate and they didn't even charge me. Told me I cleaning up their yard! I tested all of the rocks with a muric acid solution (available at Canadian Tire for cheap) and several of the rocks were not suitable. They would leech carbonate into my tanks and potentially raise my ph even higher than it already is in Calgary. If you are not keeping cichlids, you must keep this in mind.