Repairing A Broken Cross Brace on 120G?

KimW

Anyone have a decent DIY fix for a broken cross brace on a 120? Currently I have the tank clamped to prevent bowing.

I recently just did a reseal and noticed that there was a crack in the brace near the edge of the trim. I should have thought better of it when the tank was down and empty but unfortunately I didn't. I resealed waited and refilled. Within a week I noticed that where the crack was had broken and pulled away from the edge, it is still attached at either end of the break and is basically right where the brace attaches to the side of the trim. At this point it isn't a substantial bow but enough that it causes me concern. 

The tank does have trim and I attempted during the reseal to loosen it to pull it off but it just wouldn't go it's glued in there really well so whatever repair I make will have to be done with the trim on. I know removing the trim and doing a glass brace across the top is best but in lieu of that is there another option? Something that with any luck can be done with the tank at a half full state so I don't have to put any additional undue stress on the fish in the tank. They dealt with enough during the reseal and are finally starting to bounce back from that, I would hate to have to move them again. 

Any help? Everything I have found on youtube is basically showing me pull the trim off and do a edge to edge fix, which I can't do :(

If the water is down and away from where you need to add the brace, you could just get a piece of glass and silicon it in place.  If you leave the water level down for a week while the silicon cures fully, you should be fine - just leave the clamp on while curing.

• 3 months later...