PH levels

Eugene

So I tested  my freshwater  tank looks like 10  but fish are okay  my main barrel storage  is also 10 thought it would be lower  should I lower it  how  and how much .I also dont use a dechlorinator  for about   5 years .False alarm ph is 8 still, I would prefer 7-6.

Edited by Eugene

My first hunch is also that the problem is with the measuring device. Take a look at plain tap water, it should be around pH 8. If also 10 then it's time to calibrate or get a new pH tester. If it works normal on tap water then your fish are in much more alkaline water then they should. Since you say they behave normal I guess it's the meter not the water that is the problem.

PS: strong growth by plants that can use bicarbonate instead of CO2 can drive pH in natural lakes, and I expect tanks, to 9-10. So some fish can probably handle it for at least short periods.

Keepers of fish from the African Rift Lakes lament that they cannot even artificially get their PH up to 9, so agree, 10 seems weird, especially when you consider PH is a logarithmic scale. Eight is ten times stronger than seven, and nine is 100 times stronger than seven.