Your First Planted Tank- What Three or Four Plants?

My3kidsfather

I am new again to AlbertaAquatica.  So i have the pleasure of starting a new tank for fish and plants. It is a 52 gal., 39.5w x 20h x 16d. I am about half way on the stand, current pic included below. A friend gave me a 48” twin tube T5 HO with adjustable legs, this will be the daytime light. I intend to find a suitable moonlight for evening viewing. 

Playsand will be ranging from 2” in front to 4-5” in back of tank. I do not pretend to know how much light a twin-tube T5 puts out, i am told it is more than enough for the lowlight plants. Fish could include he simpler fish, Barbs, Tetras, etc. A 15 gal. sump will be in the stand for heating, water changes and filtering. I intend to drill the upper tank for in and out. 

I like contrast in color and texturein plants. So i put it to you, what would you plant first?

68984499-E555-4FF0-99EA-3DE0B6B05CAA.jpeg

B09929D2-B520-46E5-8EFE-52E441DC8400.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

For a low light tank, you could use anubias, java ferns, vals and crypts.  There should be lots of contrast between these plants. Hope this helps!!

I should be able to hook you up with lots of easy plants when your tank is up and running - I've got some common Anubias and a couple Valisneria spp.  I still have some Cryptocoryne spp. as well.

11 hours ago, fishclubgirl said:

For a low light tank, you could use anubias, java ferns, vals and crypts.  There should be lots of contrast between these plants. Hope this helps!!

Thankyou fir the advice, contrast makes it interesting.

2 hours ago, jvision said:

I should be able to hook you up with lots of easy plants when your tank is up and running - I've got some common Anubias and a couple Valisneria spp.  I still have some Cryptocoryne spp. as well.

I knew i could tap you for a few cuttings when its all ready. Thanks Jay. 

• 5 months later...