Nitrate levels for sensitive fish???

maligne

I have a 30 gallon going right now with a small group of bolivian rams, a small group of rummy nose tetras and a dwarf gourami. I do water changes once a week and nitrate levels have never really been above 10 ppm. Upon researching before and after stocking I read in many articles that rummynose and bolivians are " Sensitive to rising nitrate levels" 

Does anyone know (ball park) at what nitrate level these more Sensitive fish start to feel adversely to the nitrates in the water?

If I decided to leave it for two weeks and the nitrate jumped to 20ppm would that be too much?

The tank does fine. Like I said my nitrates are never highr than 10 ppm. 

I was more curious to know when fish start to become affected by nitrate. Iv heard some people say their nitrates get up to 20 or 30 ppm with no problem. Iv just never let mine get that high. 

Thanks for answering though!

If you go on vacation, make sure whomever is looking after your tank doesn't feed everyday - people who don't keep YOUR fish always seem to overfeed.  When I'm gone for a week or less, I don't even bother - my fish are healthy and can go several days w/o feeding. That way my nitrates don't go up much.  If I'm gone for longer, I tell the caretaker to only feed every 3 days - again, keeps the nitrates down.

Like you have read, a gradual climb into the 30s won't be detrimental - and a nice big Water Change when you get home can induce spawning bc they LOVE some fresh clean water!!

7 hours ago, jvision said:

If you go on vacation, make sure whomever is looking after your tank doesn't feed everyday - people who don't keep YOUR fish always seem to overfeed.  When I'm gone for a week or less, I don't even bother - my fish are healthy and can go several days w/o feeding. That way my nitrates don't go up much.  If I'm gone for longer, I tell the caretaker to only feed every 3 days - again, keeps the nitrates down.

Like you have read, a gradual climb into the 30s won't be detrimental - and a nice big Water Change when you get home can induce spawning bc they LOVE some fresh clean water!!

Ok, thanks for the feed back. That's good to know!!