New fish ideas

maligne

I have a 32 gallon fluval flex going right now with 4 bolivian rams, 6 rummy nose tetras and a powder blue dwarf garami. I'd like to put somthing else in it that won't stick around the bottom too much. The rams and tetras are always on the bottom layer of the tank. Any suggestions.

Would a pea puffer work in this tank?

Everyone gets along really well right now so I don't want to screw that up

All suggestions appreciated. Thanks

Never had a pea puffer so cant comment on those. Guppys, platys or swordtails might be good option for live bearer fish. Have heard of them being aggressive to gourami depending on their size though. Endler live bearers are the closest thing I have had to a guppy and kept them with rams before but you would need a large group of them to make a visual impact. I find they are very active in all areas of the tank and might be an option but their babies will likely get picked off by the gourami and tetras.

Another type of tetra perhaps? maybe a small group of 10 embers?

Have you considered increasing the number of rummy nose? I have always found them to be quite active but my past groups were generally in the 15-20 range

rummy are one of my favorites... super bright red noses and the white on the tails when they are happy... if you notice they are fading something is wrong and check the parameters. I have never been a fan of guppies since they seems so derpy to me. Also found that in other peoples tanks they seem to be kinda jerks... constantly pestering other tank inhabitants that may or may not remotely resemble a female guppy.

The fish you have right now do well in warmer water (78-82F), while most livebearers do their best in the low to mid 70's.  See if you can find some hatchet fish - I loved having Marbled Hatchets in my warm tanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes thank you for that note. The ick has been cleared up for a week now after a two week salt and heat treatment. The rams are young and to be honest I'm not sure if their squabbling is a problem or just normal. I moved the scape around a bit and started observing the tank from across the room and the rams seem peaceful enough with one another. It's when I approach the tank and they think it's feeding time that they become little jerks lol

Good to hear about the ich clearing up. The rams were so interesting to watch. Mine would lip lock once in a while and their breeding and parenting behaviors were really nice to watch. Had a couple pair up and lay eggs in my tank and got wigglers. At the time I didnt have the equipment, time and finances to put towards trying to keep the fry alive so they always got picked off in the tank.

If I added another 4 rummys and a school of 6 small cory cats do you guys think that will work? Or will the cory cats cause stress for the rams taking up more of their valued substrate space. I have seen videos of bolivian rams hanging out with Cory's 

Maybe I rehome a couple rams and then add the corys. But my rams seam to tolerate each other alright now. I would hate to mess that up

I added to my tank. My set up is as follows

Fluval flex 32.5 gallons. 29 gallons swimable space. Fluval flex stock sump filter and an additional Sicce 120 canister filter. Heavily (fake) planted. Mild water flow

Stock

1 powder Blue dwarf gourami 

4 Emperor Tetras

6 rummy nose tetras

4 bolivian rams

5 black cory catfish

Obviously it's over stocked. All these fish are very juvenile/ small right now and I am prepared to make changes as need as the community develops. Every one is getting along. Except the rummy nose school has been hiding in the corner behind a plant today. I added the 4 emperor tetras in yesterday and they are active! I think they are stressing the rummy out. I'm not sure if I should wait and see if they adjust or just move the emperors out now.

Seems like decent numbers. Maybe add some floating plants - larger stuff, stay away from duckweed. It may help with the tetras