Ich out break

maligne

I have a 30 gallon with 4 bolivian rams a dwarf gourami and 6 rummy nose tetras. The tetras have broken out with ich. I'm not sure where it came from as my tank and water are kept clean and cycled. I added 1/4 cup of salt to it today and I'm slowly raising the temperature. 1/4 cup of salt for 30 gallons doesn't seem like much.

What Temp should I aim for and how much salt should I add. The inter web gives really conflicting info.

Thanks any advice appreciated!

Go for 82-86F with lots of aeration for 10 days. The high temp will speed up the lifecycle of the ich and the salt will kill the free-swimming stage.  Don't stop just because the spots are gone - keep that temp and salt up for the whole 10 days to make sure you get as much of the free-swimming ich as possible.  When it's a cyst on your fish or an egg in the gravel, it's pretty immune to most treatments - it's that free-swimming stage that we can't really see with the naked eye that is susceptible to treatment.

On 1/31/2022 at 5:34 PM, maligne said:

Should I hold off water changes for the 10 day period. Some sites recommend lots of water changes

Yeah, if you're going to be doing WCs, you'll want to make sure to maintain that same salinity to kill any free-swimming ich

Thanks for your Wisdom I really appreciate it. My tank is meticulous I'm not sure how it got in there. I purchased a bag of aqarium salt from aqarium central. It was just a plastic bag with an elastic. I'm not sure I put enough in. If any one knows the recommended dose I would love some help there too. The Internet has conflicting information

• 2 weeks later...