Do you test for phosphates?

maligne

Iv done some research. I don't check ammonia or nitrites in my tanks currently. I just keep an eye on nitrate levels weekly. I don't have any issues. Both tanks are nice and clean. Should I be testing for phosphate levels? Do you?

Are nitrate levels an indicator of phosphates? If my nitrates are low are my phosphates also low?

I dont test phosphates but I have before when noticing problems with growth on plants and such. Starting a dosing regime for the plants also involves testing to determine what levels of phosphates you might want to target. I have never been great with fertilization aspect of the hobby so hope someone else can chime in on the specifics of your questions.

I raise the question not for plants necessarily although I plan to setup a planted tank again at some point. All my fish are described as fish that are sensitive to rising nitrate and phosphate levels. I keep my nitrates low and test for them weekly. I have no clue what's going on in my water regarding phosphate levels

Large frequent WCs will keep you NO3 and PO4 at low levels. I've done 50% weekly WCs for ever and haven't tested in years. No problems