AA Advertisements

Hi.

Many of you have noticed the banners at the top of the site... that is purely intentional and I sincerely hope everyone here supports these businesses as these businesses support all of you.

They pay real money to be seen on this site, and from the conversations I have had with the advertisers, they feel it is more to support the community and the growth of the site, over any real 'advertising'.

Recently there have been several (private) conversations regarding the 'cost' of these adds, some people quoting hundreds of dollars per month for a couple of pixels worth of virtual estate at the top of your page. I'd like to say that while it is NOT my place to discuss the actual amounts paid by anyone for anything (this is in keeping with my very strict personal stand on respect for others and business ethics) I DO feel that the rumors and outright lies need to be silenced.

I'd like to use Rob as my example. Rob paid a tidy sum right from his pocket (I know, because I was standing next to him when he put his hand in his pocket) to advertise on the site. Jay and I argued with him about the price, but he actually paid 50% MORE than the 'settled' price. He refused to pay a dime lower, as he said he was supporting all of YOU as well as the site and this was his way of trying to help out from all the support you have showed him.

The money does not go to anyone on this forum, it goes to the forum itself. We have costs like anywhere else: hosting; advertising; prizes and awards... it's all got to come from somewhere, and it's all for the forum's greater good in the long run. This site is about education and fellowship and the more people we reach out to, and the more people who are actively involved means we all win... and the hobby wins.

Now, without going into specifics, Rob's ads were put up in the first week of October and have been in steady rotation the remainder of the month. With the price he paid he 'bought' ad space worth 17 cents for every 1000 impressions. That's right... you saw the Majestic name 1000 times and it cost him 17 cents.

Now if anyone else thinks that is 'too high' or 'hundreds of $ a month' they should really rethink their position.

My 'target' for the impressions was 25 cents per 1000 as this is ten times lower than the standard rate found online for highly targeted banner placement (I have another site that sits at about $2 USD for 1000). We have not only hit the mark, but surpassed it; providing just that much more value for the advertisers and the supporters of the site.

To our detractors I wish them only the clarity that knowledge provides. Our advertisers are happy with their arrangements and while each arrangement is a little different, one thing will always be the same: AA will continue to thrive based on the support of the MEMBERS FIRST.