using peat to lower pH

k9outfit

I'm planning on using peat moss to lower the pH for a Ram tank. So, question is, will the pH keep dropping as long as the peat's in the water, or will it stabilize at a certain level? Do I treat the water with peat seperately then add to the tank during w/c when the desired pH is reached, or just dump the peat in the tank itself?

Any suggestions would help! I can deal with Africans, now I'm hoping these guys will be just as happy.

Edited by k9outfit

What I've typically done w. peat is boil it (I think this activates it's pH lowering qualities), then keep it in the tank. I put it into a nylon, then either place it in the filter, or just tie it to a rock in the tank.

I've only ever had the titration pH kits, so measuring a color change w. brown water is difficult. The fish (apistos) were happy, which is all that really mattered to me. If someone has experience w. a pH monitor, we could find out what pH peat buffers to. My guess is in the 5s somewhere.

The reason I kept the peat in the tank was so that when I did a WC, it would keep the pH from fluctuating too much - it would soon reach equilibrium.

My 2 ¢

• 1 month later...

Peat will work w/o boiling it. Boiling it may however activate it somewhat (just don't boil for too long.) The best way to use it is to rinse it then set it in your filter like charcoal. The ph may drop to around 6 depending on the peat. Also it will not keep going down. It will stop at the ph buffering abilities of whatever peat is introduced. Replace whenever you replace your charcoal.