neolamprologus pulcher "daffodil" fry

Mbuna Ron

OK here is the situation..I have a 33 gall with 4 daffodil's and 4 julie's. Turns out the one stud was busy and a small female had 8 fry...very small. Good parents as they guarded the fry well and kept the julie's away. Today my other female daffodil had fry as well (about 12-15) in the opposite end of the tank. The forth daffodil is banished behind a plant in the centre while the alpha male controls the tank.

Question 1. I thought the male daffodil paired with one female for life! :wub:

Question 2. Do I leave the fry in the tank and feed them cyclopeze with an eye-dropper or.... move them to a separate 10 gallon?

Situation 2. In my 90 gall planted tank I have about 30 eggs clustered behind an amazon leaf ....been like that for over a week. I figure they are from my bristlenose Plecos...nothing is happening...could they not be fertilized?

Lots of egg-citing questions !! :o:o

Edited by Mbuna Ron

Hmmmmm, not sure about #1, maybe he's got enough to go around? :)

As to #2, you can leave them in until they get bigger, and I fed my N. brichardi cyclops & finely crushed NLS Growth. The parents will try & go after some of it, but with the food being so small the fry will get more than their fair share.

Thank Neil. All of a sudden I've got fry everywhere in that tank...kind of neat..2 separate territories both full of fry. the brichardi are definately keeping the Julies in their place. I'll crush some of the NLS growth and send it their way. If the Julies could get to them, would they eat the brichardi fry?

Dafs or any Brichardi are vicious little buggers once they start breeding. Your alpha male could get a harem together and possibly kill off any other males of breeding size. You might want to move your julis to another tank as the dafs will continue to produce fry and before you know it , you will have 4 or 5 generations of fry in the tank. There will be no peace for the julis in that tank and they could eventually perish. I feed mine hatched brine shrimp and ground nls. you can leave them with the parents until they are about .75 - 1 in.

HTH

I guess I'll have to do it. In order to remove the julie's I'll have to destroy the two territories in the 33 to catch them. What will be the impact of this? Will four julies (2pairs) be ok in a 10 gall ? Thanks for your advice!

They are transcriptus...looks like 2 males and 2 females. There is a forth daf. in the 33 that has been pushed into the top rear of the tank ..looks like a female. The male has not attacked her but forces her to stay there. Should I move her into the 10 with the 4 transcriptus?

Still a non-related question about a cluster of 30ish eggs attached to an Amazon. It has been over a week and nothing yet...how long does it take? I think they are bristlenose but not sure.

Got fry happening in almost every tank! :wub::wub::wub::wub::wub: Next will be the Brevis

I'm not too sure about your cluster of eggs. they don't sound like bn pleco eggs. from what i've heard about bn's is that they like like to lay in caves, not in the open. also the males guard the eggs and they don't take a week to hatch, but who knows. you didn't get some new plants or something you could have gotten snails from, did you?

A ten is definitely too small for transcriptus. I've got my 5 in a 23, and it's just barely large enough with rocks basically taking up half the tank and plants the other half. With your daffodils, it really depends on how many fry you want to raise. You'll raise more by taking them out and feeding them on their own, but I'd imagine that you'll have a ton anyways by leaving them in with the parents (and due to low demand for them anyways, I'd recommend leaving the fry with the parents to limit how many you end up having to get rid of).

Congrats!

I am going to try and move them into a 33 gall. then...4 transcriptus...looks like two pairs. Will they co-exist OK with two albino ruby reds than I am growing out?