48" dual flourescents

thefishdude

• 1 month later...

$15?

Maybe I was looking at the wrong section, but the only fixture I found at Home Depot for 48" bulbs was like $50, in the shop lighting section.

Or maybe my Home Depot sucks! I never thought about checking Walmart, though...

-Hideo

DO NOT BUY THE HOME DEPOT SHOP LIGHTS!

I have 2 and they both died already ... only after 2 years use.

The wallmart ones are $12ish for the fixture. The best deal I've seen on the bulbs is home depot. 2 Daylight delux 6500k for $6.

Also keep in mind that all fixtures are not created equal. If one is 1/3 the price of the one next to it there is probably a reason. The problem is that light output is impossible to guage this without a Lux Meter so YMMV.

I know that a few years ago there was a woman who did tests with Reptile UV bulbs in shop fixtures with a proper UV meter. She had 3 models that cost something like $15, $25, and $40. She found that the UV output (using the same bulb) went something like 10 mw, 20 mw, 35 mw.

It's pretty certain that visible light output would vary the same way. I'm thinking that the extra $25 is probably woth that much better output.

I went ahead and purchased one of the ones from Walmart, it was 18$ and "low profile", one of the ones with the diamond pattern plastic covering it. I think I'm gonna get a piece of acrylic cut instead of it, as I am pretty sure the pattern will mess up the light exposure in some way.

It fits 2 48" bulbs, so I'll have a maximum of 80 watts. Which is still about 400 or so watts less than everyone says you need, but I honestly don't think it's possible to get what I need without trying to fiddle with things to fit more bulbs, which I don't want to do, less I destory my fixtures.

All in all, it was a happy purchase. Hopefully my plants do a bit better. Though they seem fine without it.

-Hideo