DIY- Caves and Hide outs

Raven

lol, ill see which ones cheaper. And i am thinking of makeing the cave for the famales. they will be trios with one male each, but still. The silocon i was thinking of useing to put the gravel/rocks on it, along with some fabric plants to makes for a bit more protection. They read the pipes by diameter right? how long could i get them at or is there a set length?

The pipes can be cut to any lenght you want i believe. Or you can use the connector pieces(L, corner, T connectors) and they are a pre set lenght.

If you use fabric plants make sure they are designed for aquariums as fabric plants bought from a craft store shouldnt' be used.

Neil- i would love to be the first to start a little debate, but unfortunately i dont' know enough about ABS pipes, or any type of pipe for that matter, to actually be able to say much more. Prehaps on another topic though :P

First: my personal thanks to Val and Neil for the ''links''.

I guess this goes to show we just do not sit arond with our heads in our tanks. But are open to searching out ideas and informational learning:::; food for the grey matter!! :rolleyes:

Since I have been involved in the fresh water tropical fish hobby, I have spent more time researching; learning; done more research, learned more stuff, become more eduacated about things, which would normally have no interest to me!!!! and in some case of no interest to anyone but those "obcessed" with the hobby.

Second - The idea of putting any foriegn object into [my] any aquarium is just - well normal... until I find out that it was not a great idea..... eg:- uncholoranted water; the wrong pH water; the wrong KH water, etc...... [ this persoanl example

goes back to when I did not know much. Now I am just more confused]. BUT a bit more smarter :wacko: .

Third - the need for answers to questions is paramount ! Who do we ask ????.

As any information - it can have two sides; the one I want and the one I do not want . Unfortunately, the sometimes correct answer is sometimes very ellusive/suggestive/// and not the one I wanted. :angry:

To the topic at hand. Piping for caves. Cheap and readily available at the local store. I know both the black and white style has been used by many,many,many hobbiest. both seem to work. Both fill a need.

Which is better suited. This is what we the hobbiest has to deceide ... on their own.

Now back to the discussion.......................................

Smokey

I use the White CPVC piping and fittings. I also use the Grey electrical pipes and fittings. Both are interchangable with each other and both fit my needs.

As to their toxicity - the white CPVC is certified as water potable. So I trust the fittings will not be detramental to the water in my tanks. Discus can be sooo fussy!!

The Grey electrical fitting/piping - well here I take my chances. I guess <_<

Because i do water changes; remember water changes, I only hope the water carries away any toxins that may be leached into my water.

I also use the 2" black hose manufactured for sump pumps. The big ones, you know the ones that sit in the basement to pump out the water -- when I forget to shut off the water filling my water resiviours.......ahhhhhh!

Cave material - I only used the really old [ 2 million years] black Itialian slate. The type found in very high quality billiard tables. Pure black, no white striations.

UNTIL I DROPPED ONE,,,,,,,,,, AND IT PUNCHED A HOLE IN MY 85 GALLON TANK. [ back to the sump pump story].

So Raven - go with what ever you feel will work/cheap/accessiable ... and not pollute the fishes waters. AND let us know what you think/deceide. OK....

Smokey

• 3 weeks later...

*sigh* This will be the second time ive typed this, damn pc. Hopefully i remember everyhing.

OK, i think ive changed my mind on this stuff. So far i have a blacke and white and red and white limestone (i think) rocks, Also 2 rock figurines one black, one brown with the black being smaller. Cause the browns so big im thinking of not using it and maybe giving it away. In its replace i plan pots, insead of pipes. Pipes just confuse me and make me worried when it comes to water. Bonus to the pots is that my granmda has a founain made from those red caly pots, which comes with nice sones. The pots are different sizes, making it a great opprotunity to find which size suits the fish ill get, and the stones with look nice with the river rocks i have. The down side is that my Aunt gave it to her a year or so ago, so there might be a family feud over this. But grandma doesnt have it set up alot, so im hoping its broken or something so i can'borrow' it or somthing.... what you guys think?

Once again Val has pointed out a good point about using pots > easier if you ever have to take the decorations out.<< eg - clean the gravel.

Now, I have a thought _ has any one every used plastic soda pop containers [??], as caves. {my black ghost think they are neat B) ]

I have used the containers for various diy projects.

They are 100% safe [ FGQ}. CHEAP - 10 or 20 cents - empty; come in a varity of colours _ green _ clear [ o.k. - two colours]. and sizes _ 500, 1000, 2000 liter.

Cut off the bottom and top - instant cave. :thumbs:

Smokey

Just one of those blinding thoughts at 4:15 in the morning. :shock:

I haven't used plastic po bottles for caves but i have used them as fry traps. I took the bottle and cut the top off. Then i reversed the top ands plced it back in the bottle. It creates a funnel so the fry can go in but can't come out. I place some food in there to get them to go in. IT works quite well

A great cave or hiding spot can be cut from black PVC pipe.2", 4", or 6". Cut to length coat exterior with silicone and dip in gravel or sand, or leave it plain for spawning tanks. This works well, or acciendtally break some of the wifes terracota pots, they work well also and can be coated with silicone and gravel if desired.

Cheers,

Garhan :ml:

lol, you guys are phycos... lol, and i cant spell, when im dead tired! I have ask my grandma about the pots yet, i figure ill ask her at thanksgiving, that way if anyone gets made about it, theyll know whats up right away and can tell me to my face. As for plain old Alberta rock, i have some, alot really, just not big ones, which makes them nearly useless-.- Hm, plastic bottles eh? I wouldnt use them in a tank, i think theyd look tacky, lol, but for betta breeding, sounds like a good idea. All i need is that 10g from Josh. lol.

lol, i know alot of people that think im a phsyco just cause i own them and care about them. There most famous saying that makes me want to slap them is " There just fish, who really cares about fish?" Grrr...