Small snailer eater?

cerebus

I've recently converted my 20 gallon tank to planted, and of course I'm now having problems with snails. I have both Clown Loaches and Yoyo Loaches in my 48 gallon tank to take care of the snails, but I'm looking for something a bit smaller for the 20 gallon. My Kuhli Loaches seem to have no interest in the snails. Can someone suggest a good alternative that won't outgrown this tank?

I have botia striata in my planted tank and they took care of my snails quite nicely. They are also a bit smaller then the yo yos and a bit more peaceful too which might work better in such a small tank.

IS there going to be any other tankmates in this 20g?

You could always move your yoyo loaches over to the 20g and move them back out once they have eaten the snails.

Well, I had an interesting time finding the new loaches. I went to a local fish store that shall remain nameless (cough - Big Al's - cough) and asked about a Botia Striata. They didn't have that, or the Red Tailed Zebra Loach that someone else had suggested. I told the salesperson what I was after (small, snail eating loach), and he led me to a tank labelled: "Pakistani Loach".

Me: "Isn't that a Yoyo Loach?"

Sales Guy: "No, it's a Pakistani Loach."

Me: "Their coloring look exactly the same as a Yoyo Loach."

Sales Guy (leading me to another tank): "These are our Yoyo Loaches here."

Me (skeptical, but assuming he knows what he's talking about): "Okay, how big do these Pakistani Loaches get?"

Sales Guy: "No bigger than two inches."

Me: "Perfect, I'll take two."

Then I get home, look up Pakistani Loach on the 'Net, and read: "The Yoyo Loach, also referred to as the Pakistani Loach..."

Sigh.

Well, at least these new guys are really small and this will give me time to start convincing my wife about the 96 gallon tank that I want. :D

Edited by cerebus

When he said " no these are our yo yo loaches" what tank did he bring you to?

Yeha i had a similar problem getting my zebra loaches. I asked if they had any zebra loaches and the brough me to a tank with B. robusta in it, it was labled "zebra loaches". If you are shopping at Big als you need to know exactly what fish you need(what it looks like) as they label their fish wrong all the time and i find that most of the people working there aren't really sure when you ask them.

Hope you like your new loaches

The tank he took me to also had Yoyo Loaches (and was labelled correctly) but they were much bigger. I suppose I could return them, but it's just not worth the hassle. These new loaches are really tiny, and hopefully they'll grow slower than the pair I have in my 48 gallon tank.

• 2 weeks later...