Heater Failure

RD.

Have you ever had a heater fail in the ON position?  

76 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yes... 3 now. 1st time the fish were poached (about 8-10 months ago), 2nd time caught them when the fish were at the lethargic stage (about 1.5 months ago - saved them all, though major stress for 2 days after), 3rd time about 3 days ago; caught it before fish were exhibiting signs of stress, though may end up losing fry that are being held at the moment. All new heaters that had been working 100% for a few months, all the same top quality brand name. Not a happy camper! :banned:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I, thankfully never had one stick on but did have one explode in the tank. I heard horror stories when I was first getting started and have usually ran two small heaters instead of one big one. My hope is that if one does stick on, it will not be enough to fry the fish before I notice the temp increase.

Although my heater did not stick it was just not at temp when my husband noticed at 5AM , so he turned it up. 5 minutes later as he left I saw that the water wasn't at temp so I turned it up. We returned by supper times to see all the fish floating and a strong fishy smell. This was 20 years ago , we came to the conclusion we needed to communicate better lol. Nothing since *knock on wood*

Ive never had a heater fail 'on' yet! My heaters have been failing 'off' though. Interestingly, I only have been using Won heaters and ebos. Ebos never had a problem with yet but the won heaters are garbage. I bought 6 Won heaters 2 years ago and only 2 are working still.

Before I have more problems with heaters, Ive went to the next step and purchased controllers for my tanks and storage tanks. The first controller I bought is from jehmco.com. The other controllers are otto controllers from http://www.ultralifedirect.com/. I have not received them yet but look forward to using them as well.

Btw, if anyone is interested in these controllers, ultralife is offering 50% on the otto controllers. If your looking for a similar controller from jehmco, there are some on ebay that you may be able to pick up for cheap if you bid carefully. Jehmco sells the unit for $55US. Ive seen some petstores selling the same unit for $130US+. Nice markup.

If the link doesnt work for ebay, search for ranco. This is what it looks like:

http://i10.ebayimg.com/06/i/08/de/5f/0c_1_b.JPG

And ranco's main site:

http://www.ranco.invensys.com/comm_temp.html

Its the ETC controller!

If you need help wiring it, let me know! I will be taking some pics of my setup this weekend (hopefully)!

HTH

Edited by ronrca

I added a Medusa TC-250 controller to my 125 when I set it up.

Expensive, but a quality piece of equipment.

http://www.saltycritter.com/medusa-controllers.htm

Pricey yes, specially when one has 4 tanks running, another 6 coming online and 2 storage tanks! lol.

But nice nevertheless with accurate temp (0.1degree)! The ranco controller can only max around 1900W and the ottos 500W I beleive.

Thanks!

Edited by ronrca

If you want to avoid cross border brokerage fees, best to have them shipped from the US via the USPS.

BTW - One thing that I do not agree with, is how some vendors suggest cranking your heaters up to the max, and then setting the controller. If your controller was to ever fail, you'd be in the same boat as if your heater failed. (with no controller) A far safer method is to set your heater a few degrees above the controllers max setting, then both devices have to fail in order for your fish to get cooked.

Brokerage fees are usually posted on the carriers website as it usually calculated by dollar value of the package. Typically carriers will be higher than USPS but some refuse to ship USPS unfortunately.

I'll look into otto controllers if available in Canada however like most equipment, anything sold in Canada seems to have a 100% markup so even with brokerage, shipping, etc, I come out cheaper in the end however one must calculate first before buying from the US.