Fish Tank Cyclying

Naruto

It's been a week since I started cycling my 230 gal and the ammonia is still high. Does anyone know how long does it take to cycle a big tank? I use polyester fiberfill in the sump (There is Hypo-allergenic on the label and nothing about anti-mildew). Does it safe to use this polyester fiberfill?

What are you cycling the tank with, ammonia, feeder fish? Something must be in the tank providing the ammonia, and if you are getting high ammonia readings after only a week you must have a fairly high bioload. If you are doing this with fish, I would go to any store, buy some septobac or any other septic tank bacteria, mix up a couple of spoonfuls in a pop bottle full of warm water, let it sit over night then pour the solution into the filter in the sump a little bit at a time throughout a week. In the interim do lots of water changes and don't overfeed. Sorry if you already know all this but you didn't give us a lot to go on so I am preaching the basics. Please let us know what is happening because we would love to help if we can. :) FYI Using pure ammonia and cultured bacteria I cycled a 90 with 2 AC 500s to a point of 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites in 10 days. If I could have got some used substrate or seeded the filters with used media it would probably been sooner.

Edited by HOSStile