DIY Aquarium Lid

Magicide

This is my version 1.0 plan for my aquarium lid. The new lighting system I got isn't wide enough to just sit on the edges of the tank and my plastic hood isn't fit for modification.

I showed this to a glass shop in town here and they quoted me $200 for parts/labour for it. This is a bit more than I would like to spend so I'm going to see if anyone can think of either a way to modify my design or suggest an alternate design entirely.

With two plecos in my tank I think I need a closed lid otherwise just building a stand for the light itself would be the easiest/cheapest option.

Here's a link to my fancy blueprints I drew up.. if you don't mind give them a look and tell me what you think.

After looking it over (and it seems to me you've got the right idea there) I've got one question and a thousand pardons if it's been asked and answered already.

Is this a plain glass edge on the aquarium or is it a standard plastic lip or euro or? Reason being, I have a sugestion for a $40=50 solution but I need to know what the solution would sit on, please.

My solution is simple...

Shopping list:

-2' x 4' peice of plywood - $17

-2' x 2' piece of plexi - $15 (alternative: use 'drop ceiling' tile plastic... cheaper (4'x4' square $5-7), not as resilient to cracking, etc but if your gentle, it works)

set of brass hinges - $5

Water proof paint to suit - varies

Done.

Make it like you have it, but out of plywood. and instead of the 'door' being a cut-out, make the hinge line run straight across. Cut out the center section just a tiny little bit smaller than the light fixture and cover with plexi (cut plexi to make two pieces) so the light sits on top and is protected from condensation.

Cheap, easy, long-lasting good looks, and nearly indestructable. (ever broken a glass top into a full tank of fish and plants? not pretty) If you buy the plywood from a RONA or Home Depot the first cut is free, additional about $1 (or free if it's a slow day) and they'll cut the two pieces you need. To cut the center hole, I would borrow a jigsaw from a buddy unless you have one.

That's my suggestion... not as pretty as glass, but just as functional, more durable, and can be painted to match the stand/fixture.