Diatom filters and Planted tanks

cgmac

Tell me about your experience with a diatom filter or some other kind of filter that you might use to clean detritis and junk from your water after a tank cleaning or major plant trimming. Takes my AC 200 a long time to clear the water in my 33 gal tank.

I've never used one, but have heard many a wonderous story about ppl using their diatom of Magnum to polish their water after cleaning.

Christmas list!!

Diatom filters work fantastically (and you know the product is a success, as it has not changed in any way in over 30 years), but they are a bit of a pain to use...plus you have to buy diatomaceous earth regularly...which is why many people now just use a Magnum with a micron filter.

• 1 month later...

Hi:

I had a diatom filter before I retired from the hobby some 15 years ago. At that time I had 2 show tanks and 15 breeding etc. tanks. The diatom filter is a bit of a pain in the butt to charge but once done it polishes water better than anything else I ever saw or read about. They are also a little expensive. I have often wondered why the LFS's don't rent them. Do a major clean and reorganization in a tank and the other filters cough and wheeze and take forever to get the job done. The people that supply the diatomaceous earth that is the filter media claim that the filteration efficiency is high enough to filter out ick. I don't know as that is accurate but they sure do a bang up job! We don't have an aquarium club in Red Deer but the folks from Edmonton and Calgary (the suburbs of Red Deer) could probably organize a loaner systyem within the club.

Cheers; :beer: