KH Question

Magicide

Seems like this is not going to be an easy one ... I would assume both pieces of bogwood are genuine from lfs too ...

Well, I think the last resort is to take your hardscape, piece by piece into a bucket with clean water and soak it in there for 24 hrs. Take PO4 readings before and after. Hopefully this reveals the culprit ... The spike should be significant (say >5.0) ...

On some of the other sites, there are several to many complaints about Eco-complete boosting P04 levels. In some cases it also still exsists after rinsing the gravel thouroghly. You might want to do a test in two cups of tap water. 1 with just tap water and a P04 reading if it exsists at all. The second cup place well rinsed eco complete into the cup and do a P04 reading. After 48 hours do P04 readings again on both cups.

Garhan

Ok, here's what I would do:

Since you aren't adding any macronutrients (other than fish food?), I'd add a bit of KNO3. Not a lot, just enough to get your nitrates to around 5-10ppm. Your tank isn't very heavily planted, so it might take the plants a few days to use up all the macros, but this might help with the PO4 problem.

Plants need NPK (+ the micros you're adding), so if there is only P in the water the plants will stop taking it up. If you increase the amount of N & K, the plants will take up the P as well.

Also, the peat has colored the water a bit. Not sure how many Watts/gal you're using, but if you're looking for good plant growth, I'd up it to at least 3, if not 4.

My 2 ¢ :)

I have the lighting for 3.5 watts/gallon but I haven't built a top for the tank to support it yet. I have been trying to find the best chemicals for macro dosing of nutrients but I haven't found the right ones yet that are also easily available locally. As far as my PO4 problem I have some gravel and stones soaking in some fresh tap water to see if they are what is causing the problem, I'll let it go another 24 hours before I check on it.

If you're able to get mobile this week(end), and can make your way to the Southside, I'll hook you up! :)

Plants need NPK (+ the micros you're adding), so if there is only P in the water the plants will stop taking it up. If you increase the amount of N & K, the plants will take up the P as well.

Jvision, I can see your point, but there is no way he can amount such a concetration of PO4 by mere N and/or K limitation, and whitout adding it. It has to be coming from a piece of hardscape ...

I agree with Milan. Before you go chasing the chemistry. Check out the gravel. It is well recognized as a problem area.

I dont mean to be contradicting anyone, but as long as you have 2 watts per gallon on tanks over 20 gallon, you can grow most plants with a good fertilizer program and C02. There are few exceptions to this as a rule.

Garhan

Edited by Garhan