Lighting

Mighty Prawn

So my wife picked up 2 bulbs for me today, they are 20 watt's, 24 inch bulbs called "plant and aquarium".

Now, I was under the impression 4 watts per gallon was ideal, so these bulbs would be providing about 1.3, 1.4 watts per gallon.

I am guessing this is no good. She picked them up at Home Depot, and said that they had no bulbs that said, "Full Spectrum" on them.

Can someone direct me, perhaps even to the specific bulbs, and specific place to get them, that'd be great. Or just let me know what exactly I am looking for.

Thanks in advance.

-Hideo

I have them (the DD bulbs) over a couple of my tanks and the light is 'just perfect'. I picked up a four-foot shop fixture and have it hanging over a 30 and a 20 for my Africans. The 30 has a window with direct sunlight literally behind it (and I have the fattest pleco on the planet, as a result), and it's as close as I can imagine the light being.

Best part: Mrs. Me didn't object to me putting in ceiling hooks to hang the light!

Next Best Part: the fixture and 80W of light for $25 or less!

MP, you can get T8 bulbs that are a bit more efficient. I beleive you can get them in a 24" 30W bulb, and will fit the regular T12 fixture. Most balasts, as long as they're the newer type, will run the T8s fine.

Right now, with 2 20W bulbs, you're at 1.3 wpg - so that's a 33 gal? If it's standard, you can upgrade to a 36" bulb, which will give you better coverage, and a higher wpg ratio.