Instant Ocean Hydrometer question

TheGr8Blade

I have a quick question that I am hoping someone can answer. I decided for Christmas I was going to start a marine nanotank. I bought a few items during a boxing day sale at the LFS. Today I purchased an instant ocean hydrometer by marineland. I tested the water for salinity/gravity, as it has been running (empty) for 2 days. The first test I did, the water salinity was off the charts. I removed some of the water and added new water. Waited an hour and the test was the same. Got frustrated and tested a minute later and it was lower. Called my husband over and tested again and it was high again. I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. I rinced the hydrometer out. Tested again and it was in the red but low. Tested again right away (without rinsing) and it was high. PLEASE help me ... I am a noob to all of this. Tried figuring it out myself and got no where. If someone can write it out in simple stupid for me it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

albert_dao Posted: Jan 2 2006, 09:23 PM 
AndyL Posted: Jan 2 2006, 09:24 PM 

Aww c'mon albert, you're a professional at this, your post should have been at least 5 minutes faster than mine...

Are you saying some damn rednecks almost as fast as you to the punch? :lol:

Back on topic eh kids? Btw Albert, the redneck in question makes you look like the long lost asian fabio

TheGr8Blade, fill from the hole as albert suggested, and knock off all the bubbles. Its also handy to soak it in saltwater for 5-10 mins before testing. This will at least enable you to mix up batches of saltwater with a similar salinity instead of every batch varying by a couple PPT because of the hydrometers inherint shortfalls.

I'd recommend at the very least tracking down someone with a refractometer and checking your hydrometer against it. At best, get yourself a refractometer. They can be found here...

Refractometer

And here...

Refractometer

Incidentally, ive had better service and support from the shop in the second link.

Your fish will thank you for it, and you'll be providing a much healthier and stable environment for them. Don't forget to aerate your new saltwater for 12-24 hours after mixing the salt in.

And back on topic, sorry blkwolf, couldn't resist.

It will help to watch your temperatures aslo as this has a bearing on salinity. Even a great refractometer benifits from even temperatures.

(not that I ever really warm the water in the change bucket, and once you get use to the differences you wont either, but it can help in the beginning).

:) Thanks for the info on salinity and the hydrometer. Will try it out again tomorrow, see if it changes any. Might have to pull out the Visa again for a refractometer. Also the info on members, that Fish Dave lives in the Forest lawn trailer park and Albert doesn't like women. Very helpful. Next time we visit Golds, I will send my hubby in (might get better prices) LMAO! Just kidding around...Thanks for the info and the laughs! :beer: