Need a little stocking help

Murminator

Need a little help picking some fish. We decided to do another tank but cichlids this time. I have 25 years FW and a 1 1/2 years saltwater experience, but no cichlid experience (Unless rams and angelfish count). The tank is a 47G with a pengiun 350 HOB filter and about 30 pounds of limestone tuffa rock. I am having a bit of trouble finding some info on the fish I want (research before you buy right?) Everything I find is not newbie freindly with all the latin names and stuff. I have 3 fish in mind and I wanna know if there are compatible? or if a 47G is to small. I know bigger is better but the spot we wanted to put it this was the biggest we could.

The fish that are in question is:

Electric yellows (labs?)

Electric blues

Red peacocks

Any help is appreciated B)

Murm

If its a 4 foot tank you should get away with having a small group of each of those fish you want.

Rams and angelfish are cichlids but these fish that your are considering are from Lake Malawi. So the good news is you have some experience!

The one thing i might suggest is to step up the filtration. I am running 2 AC 110's on my 60 gallon tank on the same 4 foot tank footprint (that is if you are running a 4 foot tank).

I Think RD is even running 2 AC 110's on his 50 gallon tank with his labs (this was the last i read).

You can never have too much filtration with cichlids!

Good luck!

nev

Edited by nevchewy

Being a semi-cube makes a huge different, as for most cichlids it's the footprint you're after, and not too concerned about height. In a tank with that footprint, if you had rocks essentially to the top I'd think that you could probably get away with a half dozen, possibly even 8 yellow labs, but that's about it.

I hate to say it, but a tank like that is almost more suited to angels and rams b/c you'd then have the options of adding some other fish that would take advantage of the top of the tank too. You'll find that a tank that tall with Malawians will end up having an empty top portion, with your fish sticking close to the rocks.

Sell the tank for a pretty penny to the saltwater guys on canreef....they love cubes. Check their buy/sell section first to get an idea on pricing, and then use the cash to buy a longer tank. :)