Hospital Tank Setups

What do you guys have for hospital tanks?

I had a 2.5 gallon for my previous hospital tank, with a sponge filter. I'm changing it however, to a slightly larger 5 gallon tank, and I'm going to use either just a standard Aquaclear filter, or both the aquaclear and the spongefilter. I'll be doing water changes every day.

No substrate. Should I have hiding places, like a couple of pots? Or completely empty?

My fish will be going from a medicated tank, to this new tank. 2 juvenile oscars and 2 adult platies. I am going to dose the tank with salt, and start treatment for ick I think, as one of the Oscars has a couple of white spots on it. From what I understand a heat treating for ick with salt will not harm healthy fish, as long as you raise and lower the heat/salinity levels slowly.

What do you guys have for hospital tanks? What kind of setups do you reccomend? What typical size of tanks is everyone using?

I'd prefer a larger tank really, but money is tight right now as I recently quit my job. (I hate Telus Mobility, ahhhh!)

I have a spare 55 gallon, but I'm using the canopy for 2 seperate tanks, and the filter I have probably wouldn't be enough to run it as a hospital tank. Probably quite overkill, too. Or maybe I'm wrong, guess I'll find out when people reply!

-Hideo

Painting the outside and bottom might help, too. I have a 10 gal that is painted on all sides except the front. Have used it as a hospital and breeding tank - easy to keep clean, and fish show off colors nicely.

Oh also, can anyone identify this?

delahoyarip.jpg

It's a crappy couple of pictures from my digital camera, but the only thing I could see wrong with my fish was the sort of greenish gold big spot near his gills. This wasn't there when I first got him, and just showed up today.

After cutting him open, there was nothing evidently wrong inside him either, aside from his flesh had some green stuff on it, looked like algae. I figured it was the contents of his stomache.

Mysterious fish deaths suck. Hopefully this was due to poor fish stalk from Petsmart, and nothing strange in my tank.

So paint the tank... Should I keep a light over the tank, or just regular daylight that filters into the room?

Well, De La Hoya was a good fish, and I'm sure he's gone to the big river in the sky, not the fishbowl in hell.

-Hideo

Edited by Mighty Prawn

From the pic, I don't think your fish had ich. Ich spots are raised and white, IME, not just a lighter colored spot on the scales.

Oh, yeah... just in case I wasn't too clear about painting, make sure you paint the outside of the tank only. :)

I've never actually painted a tank, myself. I was just going to use normal paint on the 10 gal I just picked up.

The tank I was talking about I bought at an ACE auction about 8 years ago - it has the metal frame, too!

The paint has never chipped or worn out - looks great! It was painted black. I was going to paint my next one blue, like the bar where it says "Enter your Post".

I think acrylic paint would work fine. I've painted glass many a time with acrylic paint and it doesn't really chip easily. It'd need 2-3 coats since glass won't absorb it and it'll be hard to keep it at a consistent smoothness.

I'm actually just going to cover the sides aside from the front with black cloth, cuz I might upgrade to a larger tank again in the future.

-Hideo