Oscar Tankmates

Mighty Prawn

Looking for some ideal tankmates for Oscars.

Talking to Albert, and another younger guy at Gold's they both reccomend Severums and Chocolate Cichlids.

I really don't like Chocolates, but I do really love green severums. Is it okay to have just 1 severum, or do they prefer 2 or more?

I'd ideally like when they are all adults 2 oscars, 1 green severum, 1 other medium sized fish (under 10 inches) and maybe some smaller fish. I was thinking maybe red tail shark, or red rainbow shark. Don't really want barbs, though.

If possible, I'd like a big bichir or some other kind of "eel" looking fish, but if not possible that's fine.

They will all be in a 55 gallon long until they get too big, and will be switched to a 180 gallon probably.

I've heard oscars will "bond" with tankmates if they live with them from a young age, so I am hoping to get these tankmates soon.

At any rate, what are some other good options other than the listed above? I would love something that will swim fast in a school in the 3-5" range, 6 or 7 would be fun I think in a 180 gal tank.

I know Jack Dempsey's are often reccomended, but I'd rather not have one.

Thanks in advance!

-Hideo

Well I was thinking of getting them a 180 in 2 or 3 months. Think they'll really outgrow that fast? Or do I have time?

Unless it's just a concern of water quality due to waste. I'm gonna get in the habit of vacuuming the gravel every monday wednesday and friday so as to prevent a big build up of waste, and do a really good vacuum and 25% WC on Saturday's.

-Hideo

We are very happy that you are asking the questions you are. We really want you to succeed in your endeavours. If you want green severums I have 2, 6 inch fish that I will let you have for 10 dollars which for their size you will never get in a store. I will do this with one condition and that is that I bring them to your house and we sit down and look at what you have going on with your tanks. I think you genuinely care about fish, I just want to see your setup and we will go from there. I am not saying this because I am nosey, I will not sell or give away fish that I think will be mistreated, I know your heart is in the right place, I want you to be on the right track to really enjoy this hobby. :)

I like the cut of your jib :-)

That sounds more than reasonable to me. I would definately like to take those fish off of your hands, but doing it the way I want, rodsboys is probably right and I should have them in a larger tank asap.

So I am now on the quest to price out building my own tank vs. buying a full glass tank.

Finding info on the net is tough because so many places conflict with others, but my plan is probably going to be fine.

You're definately welcome to check out what I have going, but I probably wouldn't take those green sevs off your hands until my 200 gallon is built or bought. Unless of course you think it would be fine for the first 2-3 months in the 55. I think it might be overcrowded, though. I currently have 4 oscars, juveniles in my 55, and I plan to add 1 more Oscar if I can find a green. I also have 7 danios in there which I fully expect will be Oscar food. I may move them into another tank, but I haven't fully settled yet on whether or not I want them to die. On the one hand, I think, poor danios. On the other hand, I know many feed live fish to their Oscars and even breed healthy guppies for them. And I feed my puffers ghost shrimp and snails. Haven't decided for sure yet!

Either way, even with an AC500 on there and good water change habits, it's probably too crowded.

But, if things go my way, I may even have my 200 gallon tank before January is over. Hehehe, thaaaank you helpful GST checks. Should take care of my heating/filtration needs completely.

I'd be much happier getting fish from a fellow hobbiest, as well.

-Hideo

That sounds more than reasonable to me. I would definately like to take those fish off of your hands, but doing it the way I want, rodsboys is probably right and I should have them in a larger tank asap.

Sounds good to me, we will see what happens. As always if you have a question, sing out. :)