Tulip pictures

Froggie

A few people in the past have asked me if I take pictures of anything other then fish. The answer has been that I haven't as much as I should.

This series arises from me practicing with my new macro lense. I'm still getting the hang of the beast.

aaz.jpg

abd.jpg

abb.jpg

Please give me your honest criticism on both the quality and composition.

Edited by Froggie

I am loving the top one and the middle... would make fantastic blow-ups to poster size. The last one is the only one that if no one told me what they were, I would have guessed, it's sort of 'given away' by the yellow on the bottom. I am a big fan of strong colours and 'mystery' and these shots have it all, for me.

I only wish my 'critique' was worth of the art I am critiquing.

All of you're photography is really good. What type of gear do you use and do you have any tips for us wannabes out here?

I have a Nikon D50, digital SLR. For my fish shots I've recently begun to use a SB600 remote flash on a cable. These pictures were taken with that flash, using some diffusion to cut down on the harsh light and to get the moody lighting I wanted.

I'll help with any questions people might have, however I don't feel comfortable offering any advice. I really am a raw beginner as I’ve only had my camera about 6 months and had no real previous experience with photography.

To explain how nice they are, my thrid-grade son just walked in the room to put something down, and just stared at the computer for about 10 seconds.

He's not real a flower-liking boy, either.....unless it's tying firecrackers to them or something "creative" like that. :)

I think the color/composition is wonderful and it really shows the fine detail of the tulip. However, I think it would look alot better if you managed to capture the tulip in its entirety. It would give the view a sense of "wow, look at that nice tulip" rather than "what is that...a...tulip? Oh very nice."

I loved the first and the the last pics. Both caught my attention and held it. I didnt care as much for the second one. The first one made me look for a second to see what it was and it is well placed in the frame. The third one is my favorite. You can tell it is a tulip right away, I love how it is framed in the picture. The image is very clear.