Skimmers

Can someone give me a good breakdown on the advantages/disadvantages to a Prism Pro Deluxe and the Super Skimmer 2002/2004

I can't decide which one to get... Im thinking of ordering live rock from JL, and while im at it, i could add a Prism Pro deluxe... but if the Super Skimmer is better, I could just buy it locally...

Thanks in advance.

Well the advantage of the CSS is that it actually works, most people would not say the same of the Prisim.

I really like my CSS over all, it just takes a while to get dialed in correctly. Also if you are going to use it HOB the powerhead and bubble trap take up a lot of space in a smaller tank.

Given what you are looking a spending already it might be worth considering a Remora too, it's not too much more money.

Remora, I've heard the brand. Anyone in Calgary sell these?

What are the advantages to this one? Ive heard a few people say they work well, they just didn't conclude with the why they work well

Thanks

Firstly you won't have water on your floor for the first couple of weeks when the skimmer overflows. I hated my first couple of months with my CSS. Remora on my 30 works like a charm. Not to mention on the remora the bubbles are few and far between returning to your tank. You can tell in a large tank, but in a smaller you would notice.

Edited by rudy

So on the remora, that top part that sticks up would be your collector, correct?

$275 for the remora PRO (rated 60-125)

in comparison:

$189 for the CSS 3002 (rated 30-125)

Is the $100 difference actually worth it?

And performance wise, the Remora will outperform the CSS, or is it just easier to use?

or for still less than the Remora, i could get the..

$227 for the CSS 3004 (rated 90-220)

Which one outperforms which?

You mention the bubbles... does the CSS allow bubbles to come back into the aquarium? Does the Remora?

Kinda confused as you can see between these two.

After talking to Albert, I've decided that the Prism is a waste of time, or more the less, he decided for me :)

Of the two, the CSS will outperform the Prism. The things that really don't like about the CSS are the pumps and bubble trap that hang in the aquarium. Don't get me wrong, it's a it's a good bang for the $$$ but don't expect it to perform in the same league as ASM, Euro-Reef, H&S, etc.

Between the Remora and CSS, I'd choose the CSS as I'm partial to NW pumps as AquaC's produce bubbles by water injection like putting your thumb on the end of a hose and letting it fizz away in a bucket. Also there are mixed reveiws on AquaC's. Some love it, some hate it. I'm in the latter as I had the AquaC EV-150 and it never skimmed for me in the 4 months I had it no matter what changes/mods I did. Now I have a Euro-Reef CS6-2 and it pulled stuff out in 24 hours and I couldn't be happier.

JM2C

Im gonna be starting out with predators, then along the way i will switch over to corals most likely.

Im not too formiliar with the abreivations you used... such as:

NW

FOLR

LPS

SPS

As for the prism, its a definate no.

Im still on the fence between the CSS and Remora...

I don't really like the price of the Remora, as I think the 3002 CSS will be able to do the job, predators or corals....

wtac, so the Remora didn't skim at all for you??

Midgetwaiter, The CSS puts more nitrates in the water that I don't want through bubbles? Im not realy sure at what you are getting at with that.... IF thats the case, then the Remora is good for corals as it won't?

Thanks

FOWLR is fish only with live rock. EG your average predator tank.

LPS is Large Polyp Stony Coral

SPS is Small Polyp Stony Coral

The CSS does a pretty good job of waste from the water before it even goes through the nitrogen cycle and becomes nitrate, helping you keep a low nitrate level. The Remora does an even better job of this, helping you keep a _very_ low nitrate level, at least from what I've seen.

You'll need that very low nitrate level for sensetive stony corals, less so for softies or zoas and much less so for fish only.

The bubles are mostly a cosmetic problem, they can cause problems if there is way too many of them but you shouldn't be getting that out of a CSS.

Edited by midgetwaiter

NW=needlewheel

I didn't have the Remora but the EV-150 that's an in-sump skimmer. The method of air and water mixture are similar b/w the two.

As the CSS is overall cheaper, get the largest model CSS as it would help with a large "bio-load" of a predatory set-up.

HTH and have fun :)

Im gonna get a CSS 3002, as I have found a used one for a decent price... Eventually this tank will be used for corals and that, so i hope this sized skimmer should be able to work for both, if not i'll trade it up when i can afford it

Thanks guys for all your opinions and tips. And for the little lesson on abreviations! :)

Ty