High Intensity Light Tank

Garhan

I see I surprized a few people. Here are the specs on this tank

Water as finished product 50/50 RO and tap

PH: 6.5

Temperature :74 F 100watt heater, Titanium type

Lights; 8, T-8 Full Spectrum 30 watts each, I used 2, 4 way ballasts with a self made canopyfrom a melamine finished board. As you probably know the 2 most effective reflectors are a high metal finish and white paint. (chose latter due to cost and was more fun to make)

Filteration: is a Fluval 404- choked back as to moderate the desired current.

Substrate: is my own design. Here I mixed Tropical pottings soil, unfetilized of course with laterite at 3:1 and peat pellets to asssist nutriant access for those plants that have primary intake from root system. This was the foundation with 3-6" base depending on contour of aquascape. Top substrate is 20/60 grain granite based sandblasting sand (very red/brown in colour, nice contrast to plants)from a local wholesaler for sandblasting companies. I choice this because it is a intert substance according to the WHMIS documents. Didn't even wash it,.... because. (I was lazy)

C02: DIY project from a 2 liter juice bottle and used the standard sugar, yeast mixture- being cheap, but effective.

Began a fertilization program after the tank balanced out. This took about 1-1.5 months with a 20-30% water change twice a week. Once alage bloom was gone ( and this is normal, so dont fret.) At this point I began using Seachem fertilizers until I was broke. Then I switched to the Sears/Colin program PMDD (Poor Man Dosing Drops) found on The Krib websites. This when the photo was taken, and walla....

There is 35 different spieces of plants in this tank and that is my only regret. I now believe that you can achieve a much better composition on the tank by sicking with 4-6 species of plants that would complement each other in colour, texture, shape, and over all proportion.

I also included another angle of some special plants to me, Rotala macranda

I would be happy to rely to any other questions.

Cheers,

Garhan

post-23-1095909851

man no wonder you have so much light. How long are the bubls on for and look into swords they love that much light. Dont let smokey see that rainbow he wants them. O smokey they have/had some in pet parade.

Hi Ryan, This tank at its best, runs at 11-12 hrs of light / day. when and if algae occurs after being established, I cut it back to 8-9 hrs./ day.

That male Bosemani was an F1, now 00. It died sorry, but I kept 6 fry all females from his bloodline (F2).

Cheers,

Garhan

How has the redo been coming along? Is that where you put the Rams, gymno geophags and geophag brasils? If so I hope your roots establish fast lol. Them little sifters will float the whole tank. Anyways, the pic speaks for itself as for Garhans aquaculture experience, If you think that rocks you should watch him do a water change he has a great system I hope to duplicate in my store one day.

Molino thanks much appreciated.

Qxquo, yea I have some concern about the gymnogeophagus austarlis up rooting the glossostigma elatinoides and even the Lilaeopsis novae-zealandiae. Latter did super well this summer outside have lots to trade or sell. May look real good in a strigata tank as a low cover with the Tiger val and Echinodourus cordifolius ssp. fluitians- just to off set the mid ground Val in the back of course at about 3-4 feet long laying on top....mmmmsounds pikey to me. Going walleye fishin with the boys this weekend Oh, back to the 55 gallon But so far so good, currently the plants ARE OUTGROWING THE FISH...LOL. HOPEFULLY NOT A CONTINUED SIGN OF THINGS TO COME. That substrate I showed you seems to be working OK, at least the glosso is not having to much difficulty moving through it, unlike larger flourite gravels. were it is difficult to even get planted. The tank is coming along but not ready to show. I am also growing out a few select male Blue Gularis in this tank, I will have 1 realy good show fish- you ought to see it at three months he is almost 2.75"

Garhan