Looking at maybe starting a new tank again

Beermaster

A species tank can be as small as a 10g for a breeding colony. They seem to do OK in a community tank, as long as there aren't any big (5"+) preds.

Sand bottom, snail shells, and they're happy :).

As far as finding them, I have no idea. I haven't kept them for 10+ years!

I have some N. occelatus fry, will be 'saleable' age in about 4 weeks... only about a two weeks old right now. They come from good looking parents, bought the works from Blaine in Calgary a week ago. Let me know and we'll put something together.

Shellies are an awesome choice. A trio/pair of most species will do well in a 10g. They are so much fun to watch.

Breeding is easy. As long as you have a male and female you should be good to go :) A couple years ago i kept L.ocellatus and I had fry 6 days after putting them in the tank. Then they bred every 3 weeks or so after that.

Right now i have some N.caudopunctatus and they finally bred last week. They aren't true "shellies" but can and do breed in shells. They get a bit larger but are really cool and are more colorful then most shellies . I had my trio in a 20g but I think im' going to be down grading the pair to a 10g though, as i need the tank space :)

A pair of A. cacatuoides can be kept in a 10g. A 15g would be better IME. They love small pots, plants and driftwood. They do great in tap water, but naturally come from softer slightly acidic water.

Check out Apistogramma.com for more details on Apistos.

(no affiliation with the site at all)