Velvety plants?

TheGr8Blade

I have recently aquired a planted tank. Seems the plants have developed green velvety looking algae on leaves (prior to buying). I have tried rubbing some of it off but it will not come off. It isn't brush/hair algae...It is really thick and tough, like velvet. Any suggestions on what it is or how to get rid of it will help. Algae eater? I am so so very confused. :bang1:

Are you running CO2? If so, up it a bit. If not, add some Flourish Excell as per dosing instructions.

As for algae crew to clean it up, it's tough to say. Some say younger SAEs/Amano shrimp will take it out, others say nothing will eat it. IME, CO2 wins every time.

Heh! That's one of my favorite types.

The SAE is the only fish I know of that will do any damage to this algae if there is not too much of it.

First you will have to get your tank properly balanced ie. CO2, NO3, PHO4,etc.

But we would have to know what you are doing with lighting, ferts. and all that other good stuff.

Once your tank is balanced, you just trim the infested leaves off and let the new growth take over.

Easy as that.

enjoy

One of my aquarium plant books advised that a lights out period (a siesta) during the day of an hour or so will shut the algae down as they are the lowest form of plant and take time to get their photosynthesis up to speed as opposed to higher forms of plants which take very little time to get their photosynthesis going.

I finally did this on my long tank (I put in two siestas) and the algae is now retreating and the amecas are getting ahead of the algae now. That's since last Saturday so it works quickly but you also have to block out other sources of light.