Sunset Cichlid

johnsmith

I bought four of these guys a few months ago. I bought one from a store whose batch were all larger than the three I got at another store so I'm not sure if I have 1m/3f or just one fish that's older / larger than the rest. So far only the big guy has coloured up. Since females are supposedly the more colourful sex I'm not sure what to think of this group. It doesn't really matter though b/c I'll be getting rid of this group once the gt's gain a bit more attitude. My plan is to have a gt pair in this tank.

Anyway, the pictures aren't great, but you get the idea:

IMG_0623.jpg

IMG_0624.jpg

According this PROFILE the males will get to be 10" and the females are only 2/3 that size.

Right now this guy is ~3.5" and he's the boss of the tank, but all he does is chase the others around. I've had the 4 nics with Diamond Tetras since I got them and they all leave each other alone. From what I've read they can coexist with schooling fish even when they're breeding as long as the schooling fish stick to the upper portions of the tank (in a 75g tank min.).

Hey Kris,

Nice looking pics. I just picked up 4 of these guys myself almost a month ago from Riverfront. I'm keeping them in my 90 gallon tank. No real color yet. They are rather docile but they are fast. Do you have a powerhead in your tank for them?

Drop me a PM when you decide to get rid of yours.

David.

The three I got from Riverfront haven't coloured up yet either. They're still smaller than the other guy was when he started to colour up. I'm not sure if the one that has coloured up is a male or just a large female? The littles ones have some red on their fins, which I hear is a sign of a male. The males I've seen in other pictures don't seem to be quite as colourful as the one I have, though some of the females I've seen in pictures look even better.

I don't have a powerhead yet, I'm waiting for someone here to sell one or a canister filter for cheapy cheapy. Do they like strong currents?

When I need to get rid of them I'll definitely let you know.

Yes, I was reading somewhere that they like strong currents. Actually, I just checked this out in Ad Konings book, "Enjoying Cichlids" and they are not rheophilic(cichlids living in fast flowing waters) but they were grouped with these cichlids.

It is recommended to have a powerhead in the tank for these fish. I figure it makes sense given that they are such fast swimmers. Ron, I may take you up on that Powerhead 802 if Kris doesn't want it.

David.