60 gal AG tank filter

jvision

This is how I set up the filter for the AG 60 gal tanks:

An over all shot. You can see the heater, and the terrestrial plants that I have in the 1st section. Partially to help w. N absorption, partially just to get them rooting.

DSCF0637.jpg

A closer look at the 1st section. Water just pours into this section from the main part of the tank. It's filled with filter pads, about 1" thick. I picked up a large sheet of this filter material from DAD's, and use it for mechanical filtration in all my tanks.

DSCF0639.jpg

The 2nd section is about 1/3 - 1/2 filled with lava rocks - just plain lava rocks that are sold for BBQs. I've been using them for many years, and find them a nice substitute for bio-balls. Possibly more surface-area, and a lot cheaper - I bought mine at Crappy Tire. The heater is also in this section.

DSCF0640.jpg.

The 3rd section is the miscelanious section. You can see an ivy that I stuck in here to root. There is also another piece of filter pad - more for biofiltration than anything. I've also doubled-up on the pipe-stands that came with the tanks. I'll likely use them again, so I just decided to add 2 here to keep water from flowing to the tank underneith. This is also the section I have the intake for my XP1. The canister only has the filter pads that came with the filter. I plan on buying another bag of the BBQ lava rocks to top off the 2nd section and to fill up the XP1.

DSCF0641.jpg

To see the rest of the tank, check out the planted tank gallery.