DIY stands

Moogled

What do you guys use for wood material when building your own stand? Currently, I'm attempting to build a 33 gallon tank stand with spruce 2x4s, but I'm having doubts about the quality of the wood.

Does it warp really easily? Should I change the type of wood I'm using? Also, I'm just going to sand the stand down after it's built, spray paint it and apply a couple of layers of verathane, but the main problem is I don't know how spruce will hold.

Any suggestions?

My main concern is that alot of people seem to use 2x4, but fail to clarify which type of wood is suitable for building a stand since wood type is a personal preference. However, I am not picky, I just want to know what works and what doesn't.

What type of wood did you make your stands out of, neely?

the premium 2x4's at home depot (they are spruce arent they?) is what i use. here is a pic of the frame of my 90 gallon. i then went on to build the rest of it with mdf and sealed and painted afterwards. i went wayyyy overboard on the construction. when the stand was done it was about 300lbs :)

post-29-1139200668_thumb.jpg

And they say I'm a smartass? Nice work! Can't wait till you get that 230 on a stand, bet it will be good! B)

One thing I have found, spruce tends to have a fairly high moisture content, so it may not hurt to try and let it "cure" to room conditions for a little while..maybe 2-3 weeks? You may find that clamping them together to avoid warping would be an asset. But you should consider re-arranging them once a week to hopefully even out the moisture content in all boards.

hell yeah im a smartass- but im not trying to be one right now. perhaps he might want to have a look at mine to get some ideas or else give me ideas for my next one. you never know. before building all mine i went out and had looks at others... rob, you have any blue prints kicking around ;)

** hey look at that, my 400th post :)

Edited by neely

neely, that stand is definitely impressive. You should write a DIY article complete with step-by-step instructions for newbies like me haha.

Maybe I am overthinking too much. If you guys say that my normal spruce 2x4 will do okay, then I'll go ahead and give it a shot. Hopefully it'll work out for the best.

Also, another question:

I've been looking at some of the Hagen stands that Petland offers. Are these stands really low quality? Because they seem to do their job nevertheless, and they seem to use much much less wood than most DIY plans would instruct.

Edited by Moogled

Hey man if you need any help, I have tools to help. I've built stuff before, albeit not an aquarium stand, yet. I plan on building some for all the small aquariums I have (10, 15, 20s).

Spruce should be fine, but like Majestic said curing them at room temp is an asset, though with a 33 gallon probably not entirely necessary.

-Hideo

im thinking of offering my services to fellow members- i will build you a stand and canopy, you pay for materials and buy me 1 power tool needed for the job ;). i shall maybe do a step by step for the 67 gal im doing right now. i made many mistakes on the last one and flushed many a-dollar down the crapper renting tools from Home depot. This one should work a little better.

Hideo, it'd be awesome if you can lend me some clamps to prevent the wood from warping. However, since I am actually quite anxious to get this reef tank started, I think that if a 33 gallon does not necessarily need wood to be clamped, I'm just going to go ahead and boogie tomorrow.

Now to creep some more friends for power tools, haha. :ph43r: :ph43r: :ph43r:

Edited by Moogled

My logic in using spruce:

A) It's cheap.

B) Spruce is the wood that was used to build the house that is holding up the spruce you're using in the stand.

Unless you have an oak house... ^_^

(or live in a concrete apartment building... ya, exceptions blah blah blah...)

I've been looking at some of the Hagen stands that Petland offers. Are these stands really low quality? Because they seem to do their job nevertheless, and they seem to use much much less wood than most DIY plans would instruct.

the stands at petland are normally built with crappy particle board which swell really bad with the slightest water spillage and the verneer tends to peel i find. they chip apart with normal wear and tear as well. im sure some of their fancy oceanic ones are built better than the generic hagen brand but i have never looked at them that hard.